Inexpensive Home Audio System

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, Apr 14, 2002.

1. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I will shortly be moving to a smaller house; my current stereo has 12" woofers which have to crank up to produce clean lows. I need to find a cheap ($200-$300) stereo with a CD player, that can do a nice job of bass reproduction at lower volumes than my 12" speakers produce. I expect mainly I'll be listening to classic rock at fairly quiet levels to pick out bass lines. Most of my stuff is pretty old, so I'll replace it all from scratch.

Does anyone have a make/model to suggest that has been a good performer for this?

Has anyone noticed any difference in ease of hearing bass lines using a subwoofer+speakers vs. full range speakers?
  2. heelflip86

May 17, 2001
    i cant remember if it was a sony, or panasonic, but what aboot that "gigatube" ?
  3. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    That's the class of system I'm looking for alright. I'm starting to realize that no one publishes any specs on these systems. When they do, they are terrible, such as: flat 120-10k hz at 10% THD.

Perhaps I can find a review where someone atually tests these things. Thanx for the link!
  4. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    There is a different model of gigatube that runs at 460 watts. It sounds amazing. I thinkit is the greastest stereo out there. It packs a punch.. Its a tad pricey though.

5. heelflip86

May 17, 2001
    Speaker Section:

Subwoofer Power Handling Capacity: 160 watts
    Main Speaker Power Handling Capacity: 70 watts
    Subwoofer Impedance: 6 ohms
    Main Speaker Impedance: 6 ohms
    Subwoofer Frequency Range: 25-250Hz
    Main Speaker Frequency Range: 75Hz-32,000kHz
    Subwoofer SPL: 77dB/Wm
    Main Speaker SPL: 84dB/Wm
  6. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Excellent. I'd say the GTX80 is probably what I need. Thanx!
  7. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    This is'nt really a home stereo system, but if you use your compter for listening to music the klipsch Promedias rock. you could hook them up to a cd player ect. they have a line in for some additional input besides the standard computer hookup. I have to say that these speakers are small but they seriously rock.
  8. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I note that JBL makes a "Soundgear 2020" system that has decent specs (45-20k at .1% THD) while most other folks are rating at 10% THD.

Has anyone heard a 2020 or 3030 ?
  9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000

snoop around and you'll find some good deals. A few of my friends run the sound from their computers through cambridge soundworks systems and IMO they sound pretty good.