1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Inexpensive Lightweight cabs: Ampeg SVT210AV vs TC BC208

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phorm, Sep 10, 2019.

1. phorm

phorm

Apr 4, 2009
    I am looking at getting an inexpensive light weight cab (back problems) for smaller venues, so I don't have to haul around my old David Eden 2 X 10. Any thoughts?
    Or would you recommend another cab?

Thanks!

pete

2. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I very much like my Orange OBC112 cabs. I also own a pair of SVT210AV cabs, and much prefer the Orange cabs. But I suppose it will also depend on your other gear. I found the Ampeg cabs work better with a 4 string bass. The Orange cabs handle my 5 string better.

3. FWIW, I gig regularly with my 5 string and a pair of 210AV's, and use a single 210AV/MicroVR for rehearsals. I love 'em, though I do pull out a pair of 112AV's when I need to get louder.

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Ampeg, for it's a trusty "we know n'love" kinda 2x10"

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    What's your budget? I have a pair of BC208 cabs + (1) TE Elf 2X8. I prefer the Elf to the BC208s for it's low end. I pair (1) BC208 and the Elf together to get a nice sound. The BC208 has a nice mid punch. Here's a cell phone video of this setup with the Elf head.

Morrighan, JC Nelson, BOOG and 2 others like this.
  6. phorm

phorm

Apr 4, 2009

7. phorm

phorm

Apr 4, 2009
    Thanks for the demo. Surprising low end on that!

8. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Exactly!
    That's what all of the musicians in the crowd that day kept telling me.

9. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Demo of the Orange cabs:

10. phorm

phorm

Apr 4, 2009

11. phorm

phorm

Apr 4, 2009
    The bass really cut through on that demo. Really took care of the low end, even listening to it on my PC.

mapleglo likes this.
  12. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I would recommend the SVT210AV cabinets with either a PF350 or Micro VR head.

Small footprint, great sound and quite a handful of volume.
    And not too heavy too.

13. Clutchcargo

Clutchcargo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Illinois
    I just got an SVT210AV this week to use with my PF350 and I'm very happy with it. And 26 lbs.? It'll sure work for my light duty needs......

dralionux likes this.
  14. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    If you like the "ampeg sound" the svt's are great, especially for the money. I've never been impressed by any of the TC cabs, other than the RS.

BeefPie84 likes this.
  15. Ampeg, driven by GK MB200.

16. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    … same ^^

dalkowski likes this.
  17. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Trace Elliot elf head w/2x8 (27#) has been serving well at rehearsals against a heavy handed drummer and two guitars and vox. One of the guitars is on a Marshall tube amp w/4x12 cab.
    My settings are:
    Gain 12 o’clock
    Volume 2-3 o’clock
    Bass 1 o’clock
    Mid 2 o’clock
    Treble 11 o’clock
    Setup holds its own, easy and lightweight, and everyone hears me.

18. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Me either. All the TC cabs I ever tired were completely lifeless.

19. Rogulus

Rogulus

Sep 26, 2018
    The svt210 is an incredible cab for the size, weight and price point, nice sealed punchy sound

20. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    No experience with the TC cab, but I gigged a pair of Ampeg SVT210AV cabs for quite awhile and they were nothing short of fantastic. I mostly used a V-4B Reissue and a PF-500 (I always used the ultra low button, bass and treble at noon, 800 Hz mids boosted to about 2 o'clock) and I only play five-string basses. I never experienced any problems with them not handling the B string, producing enough lows, or not being loud enough. They certainly have their limitations and definitely have that sealed cab sound, but they are great little cabs! I will say that while one cab by itself sounded good, two cabs always sounded better to my ears.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    dralionux likes this.