Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inexpensive, Mid-powered Rack Setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Sep 30, 2003.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'm currently debating what the best inexpensive mid-powered setup would be. I'm leaning toward Sansamp RBI for a preamp, and recently found the ART SLA-1 reference power amp that runs at 260 watts bridged into 8 ohms. It is only about 13 pounds and the Sansamp couldn't be any heavier, so this is would be a light, powerful and pretty cheap setup, if the ART could handle being run like that since it is a studio reference amp. Any thoughts on this?

Dirk

2. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Personally I think the Ampeg SVP-Pro is worth every penny as far as not too overly priced preamps go. I havent used the ART amp, but they have a good repuation, so I am sure it's up to the job.

3. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I am running a similar setup with a Stewart World 250 (bridged 200W into 8 ohm, 250 into 4 ohm)in a small 2U X-rack. The Stew only weighs about 6 lb and the RBI is even less. It's pretty slick for the size. With an 8 ohm load this gives me (according to the specs) a bit more power than a Clarus in a package that's a little more flexible, tone wise. I think Jokerny has one of these amps as well, maybe he can chime in.

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    For the size, weight and $, I'd be looking into a lightweight, mid-powered head, maybe a GK700RB or 1001RB.

5. If weight is not an issue, consider a used QSC USA power amp to go with your SansAmp. They were manufactured about five years ago. I used to have the QSC USA 900 (450w/channel). Fabulous amp. A couple of years later I sold it for practically nothing (it was all I could get!)

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Don't know about the ART. I just bought a nice used Peavey DPC-1000 for $200 at a local shop. It's 1U, light (11 lbs I think) and powerful (1000 watts bridged into 8 ohms, 500 watts per channel into 4). So far so good.

If you have a Guitar Center nearby, wait until the end of the month and see if they have a list sale like they did last Halloween. There would certainly be great deals to be had.

7. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    i bought an sla-1 once. Yeah, it had horrible distorting problems a week in and eventually quit working altogether. Perhaps i just got a faulty one and it was bad circumstances, but I was not impressed by this.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I don't understand racking for under 500 watts...why bother when so many good, cheap integrated heads are available?

If you're looking at the RBI plus power amp, why not just buy a Landmark 300, etc.

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA

Racking is good for protecting during trasport.

Landmark 300 is ALOT better tone options than the RBI and an amp. I have an RBI and I'm thinking of going with a 300. its a combination of RBI and Acoustic DI from tech21 and it weighs 20 Lbs. The coolest think is you can switch 'channels' or combine both tone circuits for a really unique tone combinations!! plus pedal mute for tuning.

10. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    QSC RMX 850 + Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro (the rack version)

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What I meant was going for a separate preamp and power amp when the power would be under 500 watts, especially when the preamp being chosen is the same or similar to the preamp offered in an integrated head from the same maker.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

An advantage to racking regardless of wattage is modularity: easier to stay running at a gig if you can simply bypass a failed component. F'r instance, say your rack contains preamp, compressor, power amp. If the preamp goes down you could almost certainly use the compressor as emergency pre. If you just use pre/power, you could substitute a SABDDI (if you have one) for the pre.

13. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I absolutely agree with fuzzbass. The modularity is the best thing about a rack setup. In fact you could probably get a Stewart World 600 and a Sansamp RBI used for close to the same price as the Landmark 300, then if the Stewart crapped out you could just DI to the house, and I never leave home without my BDDI, so if the RBI messed up. That will probably be my small gig setup when I can afford it (I think the Stewart would be a better choice than the SLA mentioned above, from what I've gathered.)

Dirk