1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Inexpensive, quality 6 for testing the waters?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Well, I'd like to give 6 strings a try just as an experiment. Honestly, I haven't found anything (yet) that I cannot manage on a 5 string w/ 24-frets, but I'd like to open some more chording possibilities with a 6 string. I also find that I have a difficult time managing things abover the 15th fret or so.

I'm looking for a quality 6 string, comfortable, gig-worthy, easy resale, and readily available. The less risk in resale, the better. If I like 6, I am open to selling this one for something more on-par with my 5 strings. Though, I want to make sure I get something that is not difficult to play off-the-bat.

So if you were looking for a low risk way to test the waters of 6 strings, what would you be looking for?

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Douglas makes a fretless 6 string for like...150. They're sold through www.rondomusic.net

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    agreed, although I don't see him asking for fretless...?
    Rondo's 6er selection.
    I owned a Brice 6er for awhile, 35" scale, quite nice but the p'ups lacked oomph. If I decide to try 6 again I'll either get another Brice and swap the p'ups, or try out one of the Douglas's from Rondo.

4. Ibanez SR506. Easy to find, easy to sell. Nice neck, sounds decent. For a little more money the Yamaha TRB 6 (try to find one of the original ones used, they're a little better and 34" scale like your Smith and MM) is cool.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm not sure what you would condsider inexpensive, but there are a lot of nice choices for under $1000. Very often you can get a used carvin 6 string on ebay for about half of that cost. Also, peavy cirrus makes a great bass that just isn't looked at closely enough by some. The Ibanez 6 strings may be more plentiful and popular, but would probably be an easier resale for you on ebay than here.

6. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    used Ibanez SR506 FTW

7. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Inexpensive is relative, if I can sell it for what I pay for it, then it doesn't matter (to a point). I'd be most happy if it was under 800, hugely happy if it were under $500. Though, if I can quickly resell it and lose no money except shipping, I don't really care heh.

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    In that case, why don't you just order one from musicians friend and return it within the 45 day period? That way you can really give a decent bass a good run though. But save all the packing materials, and take good care of it so that when you return it, it will look brand new and you get a full refund.

Good Luck!

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    He didn't ask for fretted either ;)

I've heard their 6's are pretty good for the money.

Another option would be the Ibanez BTB series. great basses.

10. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    fretted of course.

11. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    To me, that is immoral. I would feel guilty.

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    How is that immoral? You aren't stealing anything. They offer a 45 day 100% satisfaction return policy. They send you the bass, you play it, then you send it back saying it isn't for you. Lighten up.

13. Yes, sir!

14. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    You're probably right :D

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Another vouch for the Douglas 6. I bought one to test the waters. I like it enough that i'm keeping it around. Not the same kind of beast as my Ray5, but the bass has served me well. For clips of it go to www.myspace.com/cammcintyrebass on the tune "FEDC Idea" is entirely that 6.

take it easy.

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I like my Ibanez Six a lot, but if I could come out with the same mods (V-Bass stuff and an epoxy fretless neck) I'd love to have a Six string version of my Carvin LB75. It just feels a little more liberating (partly the weight) and has gotten sonically better as the years have piled up on it. It also has a certain fit and finish advantage though I can't really point at anything on the Ibe that is wrong, or off.

I've played a lot of other Sixes I like too, but most have cost considerably more.

I'll also say that it made good sense to me not to "test the waters" but just to commit to playing a Six before I even started shopping. Unless the bass itself was bad I was going to make it a big part of my playing life. Haven't regretted that attitude : }

17. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    He's dead wrong. Buying with no intention of really keeping the bass is very wrong. Now the company has a returned bass which they will likely sell as a blem or repackaged item which will cost them money. Let's say someone offered you a gig out of town. Let's also say it cost you $25 to get there and back. Now let's say that the guy who offered the gig really had no intention of using you; you were just a backup. Anyway, you get to the gig and are told: sorry but I really don't need you; go home. You are not happy. Why? You need to lighten up. :meh:

18. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    +1 excellent bass for the money

19. You're right. Everyone must make up their own mind about these things, but in my eyes buying something to test it out, and knowing that you're going to return it is wrong. Of course it doesn't help that the stores turn a blind eye towards this kind of stuff.