1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Inexpensive Recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by volt9stormrider, May 4, 2006.

1. hey i am looking for some recording equipment... it can be relatively cheap also... if anyone has any ideas or recommends and recording equipment aroud $100 if they could reply and post their thought id appreciate it thx. :)

2. can you be more specific? what are you trying to get for $100?

to be honest it wont get you much...

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    What are you trying to record. Band? Just Bass? What equipment do you already have? Mixing board? Computer?

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    if you are just trying to record bass you could get the m-audio interface, i beleive its called the fasttrack, and plug your bass straight into that. Then use some sort of amp modeling software to simulate a bass amp and get deceant results with that. If your talking about a full band your may be SOL. A good price standpoint to start a home studio is usually about $5 grand and thats a pretty bare bones studio. You could probably pick up a tascam portastudio on the bay for about $100 but thats far from deceant results. Some more info would be helpful, like how good quality are you looking for and what instruments you will be recording.

5. im thinking of recording mostly guitar. I might be recording some bass seperatly from guitar and im looking for something that could either record on a tape or possibly record onto a CD. i dont have any other equipment yet and i kno that $100 wont get me much but its just an idea for getting something in the future. thanks.

6. You should check out Ebay (OOPS - this one.)

You should find some cheap little mixers on there that will work with your computer or just about anything

7. Same question w/more info. :D $300 is my budget; I'm content w/the sound quality available at that level. I'm a complete noob w/regard to computer-based recording; my wife can operate our CD burner, but I get light-headed just thinking about it. I don't want to buy a dedicated computer for this; I'm talking 1 or 2 track at a time, 8 total(I'm bored w/my stone-age Tascam 4-track cassette recorder). Zoom does one under budget w/an internal drum machine & effects, but I'm totally ignorant here; can I hook this straight up to our PC(a Dell- sorry, wife's asleep so I can't tell you any more than that:rolleyes: )? Thanks.

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    if your not sure how to run your cd burner on your computer your probably gonna have trouble with a computer based setup. Id just go with one of those self contained zoom type recorders with a cd burner built in.

9. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Here's the set-up I use to record jams in a small room:

3 Vocal microphones hanging from the ceiling (I think condenser mics would be better). Into...
    Behringer UB1202 8 channel mixer (this was fairly cheap and I think they make smaller models even cheaper). Into...
    Computer (you obviously have one since you're on this forum). Into...
    Kristal Audio Engine (this is excellent free recording software, but if you like it you should send the author some money).

I admit this doesn't produce a "professional" sound, but this is a very cheap set-up that allows us to listen to our jams.

10. glennc

glennc

May 6, 2006
    If you just want to try it and get some feel for recording, you might download a program called Audacity. Its free. You can record to the computer through your soundcard and them apply effects to the stored recording. Also allows playback while recording more tracks. The sound is rudimentary on through an inexpensive soundcard, but the program is handy. Then you can upgrade slowly. Add effects, preamps, mixers, better input device, computer and software:D . Once loaded you click on the record button, play, rewind and such. Ideal for accompanying yourself.

11. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    Hey Guys,
    I'm new to this forum, but have been recording with Computers for about 20 years... (when did I get old?)

oh well,

If you want to record with a PC, then Tracktion is the ticket. It is simple, but really powerful and pretty cheap. (I've wasted YEARS on programs that are too complicated and a huge pain....)

You can download the demo and check it out. Everything happens on ONE main screen and makes sense. I use it to compose with....

I LOVE TRACKTION 2

http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion2/index.html

david

12. THERAKED1

THERAKED1

Apr 23, 2006
    Columbus,OH
    Tracktion is nice, but I've found that Cakewalks GT3 is one of the easiest ways to go. I don't know why they call it "guitar tracks", it's basically a 32 track digital recorder for your computer.

Be advised, PC recording takes some time to learn, just as any instrument, and before you know it, you'll be sinking a lot of money into it, even for just the basics.

13. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Or you could always just go on Limewire and download a hacked version of ProTools... ;-) <ducks and covers>

14. Musiciansfriend.com sells a $300 studio package consisting of an M audio2 box, a couple of mxl mics, cables, stands, and headphones. I'm thinking about picking the set up.

15. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Yamaha's new series of USB mixers look pretty impressive. Get the "10 channel" (actually 4 XLR, 3 stereo lines) one for $200 bundles with some recording software, and you're set. I'm even thinking about this one instead of upgrading my sound card, since I'd need to buy a new mixer to make full use of the 10 channel (actually 10 inputs) sound card.

Then grab the MXL 990/991 package for $100 and you'll sound even better.

16. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    If you just want to record your guitar, then you might want to look at line 6's toneport. It is a usb interface, modeling program, and comes with recording software. I have it and use it every day. You can get almost any sound you want from it. It's $130 on musiciansfriend.com.

17. Whacked

Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I have a Tascam US-122. Works pretty well and comes with Cubase LE.
    I got it for $125 on ebay, new.