Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inexpensive RnR-basses..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Ibanez ATK-400

16 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. OLP Stingray

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Epiphone Thunderbird IV

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. MIM Fender P

27 vote(s)
    45.8%
  5. Yamaha BBG4A

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    *I feel great evil lurking in me.. GAS building up.. arrgh!*

Bassists have no saying for when or where the GAS might choose to appear.. We can only try to channel it towards something we might benefit from.

So, I'll try to channel it towards getting some inexpensive 4-string, I have Kingston 5 which is one excellent bass, but fourer might be handy as a backup. And besides, I might need some 'flashy' bass with more rock'n'roll-attidute.

Which leads us to.. five nice fourers in this GAS-range:

First, Ibanez ATK400. If it's anything like old ATK's, it should be sweet. Plus it has maple 'board, and I happen to be maple fetisist :rolleyes:

Continuing on maple 'boarded ones: OLP Stingray. Nice looks, but only single MM-pup and I think my Kingsy can take care of that department.

Then there's Epiphone Thunderbird. Based on 70's Gibson me thinks, this bass is 101% R'n'R-attitude. Minuses neck-heavyness(I have quite wide leather strap tho) and rosewood fretboard, which suits it's looks tho.

MIM Fender P-bass. Old classic. Wonder if I can get one with maple board.

And then there are of course Yamahas. BBG4A, which has kind of classic, smooth appearance, perhaps not the best for R'n'R but one of the best basses considering bang for the buck.

Considering the contestants, this'll be one helluva race. How suitable considering the topic.

What do you people think about these basses?

2. ATK. Good bass. Some RnR attitude, its very rare. I havent seen anyone play one, only seen them in stores.

OLP It's okay but not against the other basses here.

Thunderbird Well, it looks cool sort of. Rumbles pretty well.

P-Bass. I dont like P-Basses much.

BBGS I like Yamahas, but it isnt really that rock and roll is it.

sim

3. ATK definitely.
    I am thinking of buying one for myself with the money I am getting for my birthday.

4. I'm partial to the Yamaha BBG myself. I have the 5 string version. Either that or the Fender P bass. That was my first bass. I've heard good things about the Ibanez ATK, but never played one.

My vote went to Yamaha.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    hans down: a fender P finished in black. then change the pickguard to a 3 ply black-white -black.

this is my MIA P with maple neck, the definitive rock'n roll bass!

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    ATKs rule-bassists from lit and the offspring use em.... thats pretty rock and roll to me! i use an older one too.

your kingston (nice bass!) defenitly blows the OLP away

thunderbird-i would say this thing will be big and clunky... attitude to spare... but too big for my taste

p basses are great for rock. id agree that a black one with a black pickguard would be a badass rock bass!

yamahas are great bargains... and they might suit your sound well. very well built, but not quite so full of attitude as the others.

my vote would go first to the ATK, then to the (all black) P bass.

barroso- that is a sweet bass! im defenitly a fan of the blackness.

7. ibanez suck donkey kags IMHO ... get a mex p-bass.

8. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    ATK all the way

9. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I play a p-bass in my band, but the only other bass i would consider playing is a ATK.

So get a P or an ATK

Chris

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:rolleyes: Have you actually ever played an ATK? Or a BTB, for that matter?

Tony, get the ATK or the P bass. Both have that rock and roll attitude, and both have great tone and looks as well. How did the OLP get in this poll? It isn't fit to be mentioned with the ATK and P bass, IMHO.

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Emby yep, played both BTB and ATK(old version tho) a bit, it was close call between BTB and Kingston but in the end Kingsy took it away with maple 'board and simple construction as in, in my opinion less stuff inside means you can put more cash in quality.

You're prolly right about OLP anyways, it probably doesen't come even close. The reason it's on this list is that it has maple board which is a big turn-on for me.

As weird as it sounds, only bass I haven't really played is Fender P. But then again, I have been recently considering Esh Basses as one option, their basic model Hero(J-pups) sells around €500 in Europe and I would think it kicks Mexican basses' rear ends in matters of construction and quality. Besides, it doesen't have those huge import costs from USA. Fretless one could be interesting, as I recently sold my Yamaha BBN4F(got what I paid for it back tho) since while in the army it seems like two basses is waste of time.. Even my Kingsy may sit alone at home for two weeks when I have duties at garrison hospital. I miss fretless a bit tho, so it might be that my next bass will not have frets.

I will be transferred to army reserves in couple months, 4th of April to be exact, guess I can wait that long and see how much cash I come up with.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Tony, my last post wasn't directed at you, it was Fretgrinder's 'ibanez suck donkey kags IMHO ' comment that I was quoting.

13. Let's see...... Ibanez ATK is used by the Offspring, Lit and I even think the bass player from the Spin Doctors used them. I tried one out and it sounded and played like a dream! If it was a bit lower in price I would have bought it.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Aside from my quest for the utimate ME bass...the Gibson RD Artist. I hear nothing but raves about the tones those things crank out...and they can be had for like, what $300? is that the used price I hear batted around?

Actually, though, all said and done, if I had to get a rocker, I'd grab a MIM P. Those things are about the definitive rocker. I'm not to hip on them, but heck, why not?

Actually, I'm kinda GASing for that Fender Ameri Deluxe P, the one with the huge humbucker in the bridge? Yeah. Drop a Hipshot bridge, and set it up BEAD...I think I could handle one of those...

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Nonononono, do NOT mention MIA P Deluxe.
    Even more GAS now!! :rolleyes: Not to mention they cost huge amount of cash in Europe.

Emb oh, I seemed(obiously) to miss that quote for some reason.

ATK-400 seems nice choice too, I'm torn between all of these basses here.. Except for OLP ofcourse.

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'd say MIM P. MIM J is a great rock'n roll machine too.

otherwise i suggest the ATK

17. I would go for the ATK or maybe the yamaha.

18. Although I do like the Ibanez ATK and BTB, my vote would go for the Fender P. I'm a P fanatic!

I would also vote for the Thunderbird, but I can't get passed that neck dive.

19. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    MIM P, provided you test it and find a good one.

The bad news is, you won't get it with maple fingerboard.

20. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Ibanez suck donkey kags IMHO.
    They are stupid and ugly.
    And they are way over-rated.

Ah, last thing : I was just joking...
    Hope you liked my compilation...
    :D