1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Inexpensive Soprano Sax?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by berklee46, Mar 4, 2003.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I used to play sax a long time ago, and now that my bass GAS is actually pretty well cleared up (new Status and Curbow in the works) I'm looking to pick up a decent, but inexpensive sax just for kicks.

I used to play tenor and had a beautiful Buescher, but sold it. This time around I'd like to pick up a soprano sax, but have been out of the loop for so long that I don't even know what's decent and what's not. I don't want to get taken and pay a Sadowsky price for a Hondo-quality instrument, if you know what I mean :\

Any suggestions for a decent sax?

Thanks

2. Aww, there's no such thing as a good soprano sax. :)

3. Ohhh - you said "SAX"

Sorry to bother you....

Note to self: get eyes checked out :D :D

4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Yeah, I know what you mean about a good inexpensive sax. I guess what I meant was something along the lines of a student quality instrument. Something that is functional, but not big money.

Essentially I'd be looking for the equivalent of a Made in Mexico or Japan Fender Bass....

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I bought my wife an alto sax for christmas.
    It's a "Jupiter" which I think is made in taiwan.
    It's a damn good instrument!
    I paid £400 for it which is about 600 dollars.
    It was secondhand but had only been played a couple of times.
    I guess new they would be around £700 or so (1050 us?).
    Incidentally it was bought from one of the U.k's top brass and woodwind shops - they sell a LOT of them and have very,very little trouble with them.