Inexpensive source for control cavity plastic lids

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by earlysecond, Apr 17, 2016.

1. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    I wondered if anybody can point me in the right direction?? I could not come up with a suitable, local source of black plastic to make control cavity lids with when I built my last project. I would love to have some material. Would be great if I could find some supply to re-purpose.

Does anybody use something that is cheap and off the shelf at some major store chain, a national retailer.

Secondly, could the same be used for pick gaurds and what are you using to cut and shape them? I chickened out last time and defaulted to what I know best. . .. metal, largely because I was using it for a control tray on the guitar anyway.

I love to find cheap sources of products and parts that would be available to anybody anywhere off the shelf. Let me know if you have any suggestions

Thanks,
    Brent

2. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    I saw a build thread somewhere where someone used a black waste paper bin.

3. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    Makes sense but I am thinking it might be better with hard plastic. Good idea though. What do you think?

Thanks!

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    1/8" black acrylic sheets are pretty inexpensive.

5. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    Sign shop??? OR off the shelf in a store? What are they typically used for? Thanks, as always!

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
  7. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Find the local electronics junk location and pull plastic parts from printers and/or computer cases?

Hmm - one more thing to salvage from those dang eMacs - big white shielded potential cavity covers.

For hard black plastic, several types of food jar (nuts, etc) have hard black plastic lids that the recycling here won't take (containers yes, lids no.) Too small for PG, but sizes that will do CC are out there.

8. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks T_Bone. I'll start paying more attention. . . much like I have started paying a LOT more attention to all of the beautiful, local hardwood around me. Sadly though, now I am a distracted driver! haha

9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
  10. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks Hammered!

11. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
  12. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Look at Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, Ace etc. for signs (keep out, no swimming, etc) on black plastic.
    Not super common, but out there and cheap.

13. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    I like interstate for some things, but they kill you with shipping.