1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Inexperianced question... Two output cables?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kyon`, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Hi, I've always been kind of curious about this and I've tried searching but can't seem to find an answer. I've seen some cabs that are say they're stereo and you're suppose to run two instrument cables into it from one amp right? Is that what I'm suppose to be doing with my avatar 4x10 and ashdown mag? I have two outputs on the ashdown and two receiving jacks? Should I just try it or is this for something else? I never really was clear on this.

2. The one thing I'll say is that you want to use a speaker cable(or two)rather than an instrument cable. Beyond that, I would use one cable- that's always worked for me.

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    avatar 410 is not a stereo cab. one speaker cable from amp to cab is all you need.

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Your Ashdown head has two outputs to accomodate two cabs that will total no less than a 4 ohm load when used together. You only use one of them if you have one cab. Your Avatar cab has two jacks, one to recieve power from the head and another to link to a second cab if you're using a head with only one output.

You should only use instrument cables for instruments, and speaker cables for speakers. Instrument cables do not have the higher current load capability that speaker cables have, and speaker cables do not require shielding.

5. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Stereo CABS or Stereo AMPS when used Stereo require STEREO GUITARS.

WHat the guys do is have custom guitars that have the neck and bridge pickups separate, feed them to either a pair of preamps or a stereo preamp. They then feed a pair of amps or a stereo amp... They then feed a pair of cabs or a cab that is set up to drive STEREO like an AMPEG 810.

This allows the bass to be dialed for different effects on the different pickups. If you are inexperienced I wouldn't waste my time. I've been playing 40 years and never needed to do this. BUt who knows, you might invent some cool new thing.

But plugging cables into holes, just because the holes are there will most likely result in serious heartbreak and a big repair bill. BOB

6. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Most heads have at least 2 speaker outs, and sometimes 3 if it has speakons. Cabinets usually have 2 inputs so you can daisy chain with another cab. One speaker cable from your head to your cab is all you should connect.

7. bassman251

bassman251

Jan 30, 2007
    You might be able to do it with the many different stereo effect pedals with one guitar. Those pedals have two outputs. Not sure, never hooked it up to a stereo amp.