1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Infamous color printer tracking dots exposed!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Mar 11, 2008.

1. falstro

falstro Good Bassists Don't Forget Anything

:eyebrow:
    The interesting thing is there's even a link that takes you to a "List of printers which do or do not print tracking dots" for all you counterfeiters out there. :meh:

2. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Or those who don't trust the government

3. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I don't enjoy the idea of secrets like this, and I've never made a fake bill in my life.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Think about this in terms of if someone abucts your wife or child and prints out a demand letter.

I know this isn't what it was made for, but if the person registered their printer it is a direct hit.

5. Yes let's get up in arms because the government actually cares about that insignificant paper you're typing at the Community College. :rolleyes:

6. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    And maybe they're intercepting all your emails, and web site vists in case some hypothetical terrorist is looking up bomb recipies/emailing co-conspiritors.

It's a REALLY small step from this kind of technology, to having IE send your browsing info to the gov. If they can convince the printer companies embed this stuff, then microsoft would be happy to have a reason to collect the info for them.

If you don't see the problem here, you really need to think about what else this could be applied to. For those in the US you might like to remember that the last line of your national anthem ends in a question mark: "Land of the Free?"

Ian

7. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    My privacy feels like this::atoz: right now.

8. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I love Cockeyed. It is such a great website. Their scientific experiments are awesome. And also 'How Much Is In...?'

9. Depends where you define free. For instance, you arent free to kill another man. . .

You are allowed to defend your assets are you not? Thats pretty much all the government is doing there.

10. People are free to kill each other and murders happen all the time as a result of this level of freedom ,in all kinds of contexts (accidental, criminal, military)!

Yes, there are consequences to the actions chosen AFTER THE FACT and no, I do not agree that it's right to kill people nor am I defending people who do do it, but the simple fact that it happens, and happens alot, leads me to believe that people are actually free to do it, at least once in some contexts. ;)

On topic, I am sure the govts. of the world have all kinds of monitoring systems and devices to ensure they can predict and track behaviour best they can and this method of tracking printed media does not surprise me at all.

11. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I wish they hadn't imbedded that chip in my head.

12. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    When I first got a color printer, back in high school, I printed a 7-1/2 dollar bill with a teacher's face in the portrait. It looked horrible and hilarious. But I guess you had to have him as a teacher in order to get the 7-1/2 dollar joke. :atoz:

13. I would hardly say you are free to do something if you must face the consequences.

I think its fine though, you dont trust the government, it doesnt trust you, everyones happy :bag:

14. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Who even uses paper anymore?

Worry about Telecom immunity, not paper.

15. That makes no sense at all. All actions have consequences! You're effectively saying people aren't free to act if there is a consequence attached to their choices.

So people aren't free to breathe because a consequence of breathing is staying alive. But people aren't free to not breathe either, because a consquence of not breathing is dying.

That's some weird logic there, and I've had my fun with it, thanks. ;) :D

16. Ok, take that in the wrong context then . . .

I was meaning as in if you are going to be locked up for doing something, you arent free to do it.

But, your a prisoner, so you wouldnt understand :p

17. Looks like it's only applicable to color LASER printers, which very few people own. So feel free to send threatening letters to politicians using your ink-jet. :)