1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Infinite hold (delay) pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Jun 17, 2001.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    Does anyone know of any delay pedals that have infinite hold?? Like so you can play say 2 seconds of a groove and then it will keep repeating and you can solo over it?? I got this new (old) video of Weather Report with Jaco Pastorius in it (1978 in Germany), and in his solo he does this little quick riff with his delay and then does it again with like the 5th and 3rd so it's kinda like a harmony/chord thing, and then he solos over it...i'd like a pedal like that..
    Thanks
    chris

2. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    They are available, I tried one out at a guitar shop near me that just held one note, but I know that you CAN get the ones that you're on about. Ask at a guitar shop or mail the friendly guys at www.regentguitars.co.uk (a UK stockist, but will probably reply to anyone in the world)

3. I think you've pretty much just described a phrase sampler. I know that the Line 6 Delay Modeler can do this, but I can't remember the names of other phrase samplers. There have been threads in the past about phrase samplers so I would try a search.

Phrase samplers can be put to awesome use.. I saw a solo acoustic guitarist named Howie Day perform and he created percussion, multiple guitar parts, vocal harmonies, and various other weird noises with just his voice, guitar, and a phrase sampler.

4. I forgot who makes it but they have a phrase sampler called the boomerang. You can save stuff on it ahead of time.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw John Paricelli doing some amazing stuff with a Boomerang phrase sampler, in my local Jazz club recently. It sounded incredibly "natural" - that is, it was almost impossible to hear the point where the playing stopped and the loop started - it just sounded like several guitarists playing. But this may have had something to do with the skill of the player!! ;)

The sound quality was excellent and the loops seemed to be quite long, giving adequate time to play in a reasonable chord sequence. The only worry is that this sort of thing does away with the need for bass players! The gig I saw was just a trio with Kenny Wheeler and Stan Sulzmann on trumpet & sax as well as guitar. So at one point John Paricelli, looped a bass line that he had created using an octidivider and the chords - so he was replacing a whole rhythm section!

6. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    boss dd-5 delay 150 i have it and love it

7. Boss DD-3 and DD-5 have infinate repeat but the sample time is short. I traded my DD-3 in for an Akai Headrush and now i have 23 sec of sample time or 11 sec of overdub time. About $300 less than the Boomerange.

Jaco's solo, "Slang" sent us bass players out in droves buying delays to copy that little lick. i think i heard he had an MXR delay pedal but i'm not sure.

8. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    For really short loops there's the DD3/DD5 option, or the DOD digital delay, which allows you to layer and then hold (David Friesen uses that one to great effect in his solo gigs). For longer loops, best bet at the moment is the Line6 DL4 - 28 seconds of loop time, and a load of cool delays as well. The Headrush is OK, but for nearly the same money you can get the DL4, which has way more features and a much longer loop (the Headrush will only do 11 seconds if you want more than one layer in the loop). The boomerang has a long loop time but much lower sampling rate than the DL4 - Ed Friedland got one recently, but took it back and got the new Boss Loop Station instead, which has even more loop time, but better sound quality...

Up from there you've got the Echoplex Digital Pro, which is a stunning unit, and soon to be released is the Repeater by Electrix. see www.loopers-delight.com for more info on all things loop.

But bottom line, I'd suggest starting with the DL4...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk