Infinite music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bigmanb, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Do you think that there is a chance that one day every song possible will be written? There are only so many notes and orders. Or is there an endless amount of combinations and possibilities. I, for one, think that it is finite.
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Mathematically it is infinite. Consider the length of sustain of any given note, the microtones available playing a fretless, speed of a vibrato, possible slides from one note to another, etc. etc. Now add in additional instruments playing counter melodies, lyrics which are as varied as language itself, there is just no end my friend. It's like saying someday all the possible books will be written. Music is a language.

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    OH MY GOD!!!!I think about this every day,I just couldn't really think of the words to post it on here.yes music will be over one day.Not for a VERY long time because there are millions of different istruments people could invent,they could detune as much as they wanted to.It wont happen for a very long time,but one day music will be over.

music will get very lame and someone will just hold one note a whole song,or just say one word.but it would still eventually be over.

4. No chance. Can never go to infinity, and there are infinite combinations of words and notes and what not that goes into a song. So no.

That doesn't mean all the good music will be written at some point, in fact I bet it will. A bunch of hooligans will ruin it all.

5. That would be any guitar lead in a Judas Priest song.
  6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    That has sort of happend already. Brainstew by greenday.:D
    nah but if it ever does come to the end, people would just start doing covers and all...
  7. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Absolutely bang on, but... Haven't we heard all kinds of crap that sounds just like stuff that's already been done? :mad: :mad: :mad:

The problem isn't that music is finite, it's that the music industry's visions and ideas are not only finite, but shallow.
  8. Exactly, Music is infinite. If you consider all of the different combinations of notes, note length, time signature, rhythm, lyrics, harmonies, melodies, everything would go on forever. There is no way that there will ever be an "end" to music as we know it. I guarantee you that right now, you can find another song, for any song out there, that has the exact same chord change. Does that mean they are the same song? Absolutely not. My band did a medley to convey this point. We played 6 songs in a row that all were played as a C-G-A-F chord pattern. Three of them were Phish-Farmhouse, Blink 182-Whats my name again(or whatever, I just knew it was a punk song), and the John Lennons "Imagine", those are three very different songs, with the same basic root.
  9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    True,but were not saying anytime soon,but eventually music WILL be gone,or atleast over.Theres only so many different combinations.
  10. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    whoa, i always wondered that. and i always wondered that maybe someday all the band names will get used up? ...uh, thats only cuz i'm a loser and have no life though.
  11. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Aww, don't be so hard on youself...

12. Yeah, I mean, you at least have a life... one out of two ain't bad. :D

(Just kidding, just kidding)

Wow. Sarcasm loses alot by being written down and posted on a forum.
  13. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Just like words, eventually all the books will be written, right? And art, eventually everything will be painted and sculpted, right? And inventions, eventually everything will be invented, right?

I'm older than the electric bass and you're actually seeing an end to new music? Open your mind grasshopper, creativity is what makes us human, you will not see the end of new music in your lifetime, I guarantee you that. The notes are your palette, the artist decides what to paint, and it will be HIS art, even though there are only so many combinations of color.
  14. Mathematically I'd say this all boils down to however you define a distinct musical piece. If you make no boundary for length, there's obviously an infinite number of musical pieces. One piece could be a pre-existing piece plus a note at the end or what have you.

Additionally, note durations can become infinitely short. I'd assume it would be possible to write with 1024th notes if you really wished to do so. :)

But even then, I don't think we'll be running out of "good" music anytime soon. There are always new instruments or new ideas on the horizon that we can't even dream about. Maybe that's part of why music is described in terms of "theory." It's described in a working manner right now, but there's always room for growth.

I don't know. I'm done rambling. :D
  15. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I know that music won't be over i my lifetime.Da5id,I never thought of the idea that someone could just keep making longer songs,and make them last forever.So I guess I have to rephrase myself..."One day good music will be over".

I mean,wouldn't you get bored if an infinite,repetitive song?
  16. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    "One day good music will be over".

You see, it's up to people like YOU to ensure that doesn't happen.

Write something! Something GOOD! :D
  17. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    That was AWE-INPISRING!:D
  18. I dont believe music will ever be over. If it is it will be a sad sad day. A world without new music will be horrible and if that were to happen I dont think Life could go on. Seriously Life without music would be unbearable and just going back through what already exists wouldnt suffice.
  19. c_suders

Sep 13, 2001
    Shippensburg, PA
    I think all the names are already gone, we have Blink 182, Sum 41. They are just like AOL screne names, bob is already take so you choose bob 123456. lol (just kidding)

as far as the music being finite, I agree, there are only so many possible combinations of sounds, the only way for it to be infinte is if you talk about the legnth of the note. I mean one note could, in theroy, last (or be repeated) forever. In that case the song would last forever, but it would technically be music, (all be it very lame) and would be infinite. I think that for atleast the next million years or so we should be safe though ;) :p

I know i kind of contradict myself, but thats how i feel. lol
  20. It blows my mind to think of all the music that has been created from just 12 tones. The same 12 tones that Beethoven used to write his nine symphonies was also used to write The Captain and Tennile's "Muskrat Love", and "Anal Injury" by Lubricated Goat. There's some food for thought.