1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Infinity Bass Link Subwoofer... and more questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rojo412, Nov 16, 2010.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Has anyone bought and used the Infinity BassLink powered subwoofer in their car? Any thoughts/reviews?

I just got a new (used) car and gave my old sub to my girlfriend (her car needed bass, too!). It was so freaking big, I couldn't use my trunk to its full potential. I need to get a new sub and this is small, comes highly rated, etc...

But I want to know what fellow bassists think about it.
    ... or other recommendations for a slightly compact sub for the car.

2. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Seems to have good reviews online. As long as your expectations are in line with what it actually is, you should be happy with it. I question the woofer size in such a small box. Seems like they just threw in the biggest thing that would fit so they could market a compact 10" woofer. But it's hard to argue with the amount of positive reviews.

3. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    I had one installed in the trunk my previous car (MKIII VW Jetta)
    It sounded great and really filled in the low end, while being fairly unobtrusive size wise. I don't know that it will give you frame rattling bass, but it certainly adds some thump.
    never installed it in my current car, its just sitting in my basement now.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I had one in my Ram. It was alright. I took it out for a Kicker.

-Mike

5. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Want to clear it out of your basement? PM me if so.

It's going into a 98 accord 4dr, which has no real bass as is.

6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    On a separate note, has anyone avoided adding a sub box and just installed a separate amp to power the 6x9 rear speakers to where they would be doing the same job as a subwoofer?

How does that compare?
    With separate sub control on the head unit, built in crossovers on amps, frequency cutoff, etc, I would think that this option would be viable... but it could also just not be the right amount of thump.

Thoughts?

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You won't get the kind of bass you want out of a 6X9. Do it right, and get an amp and a sub.

-Mike

8. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I bought the Basslink from Tink (Thanks, man!!!) and it's a well built unit. Very easy to install, fits in tiny spaces and definitely stays out of the way, while adding thump...

That said, I think it's better suited for a compact hatchback or wagon. That bass doesn't quite rattle the frame, you are correct. It's giving me a much more audible bass response, but I don't feel the brown note, like I would on my 600w 2x12.

I have to get some front speakers for the car before I give my final report on it. The 6.5" are torn and fart out really easy. I just added some new 6x9s in back as well, so it has more highs and mids, too. I also want to try orienting the Basslink upright, to throw the bass frontward.
    Once I try that, we'll see how it is. Sounds GREAT in the trunk, though and if I had my old Civic hatch, I'd be in heaven!

9. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    Glad you like it. It's definitely not a trunk rattler, but it does sound good. Did I send you the link to buy the upright brackets?

10. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I was actually going to make something to mount it on that can be easily removed, for when I have to slide a rig back there :bassist: