Inflation and are you near your limit?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Not all

111 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. I really cut back

68 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. I have to plan and save more

77 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. I’m good with my current gear

391 vote(s)
    58.0%
  5. Less expensive stuff is good enough for me

27 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    5-string Bass Guitars | Sweetwater

Above is a link for Sweetwater’s prices for Spector Euro 5 basses. They are running from $2,899 to $3,999 (the Alex Webster Sig.) When I first joined TB, these were prices more like those for USA Spectors. I was just thinking about rumored production of Czech Peavey Cirrus basses. If that happens, they may very well come in at over $3K because they tend to have more elaborate wood work than Spectors. I wonder how many would buy them at that price, and is the reality of inflation why we are not seeing any? Generally speaking, some production Music Man basses are getting near $3K too. How has inflation affected your options?

2. Lowendchamp

Lowendchamp Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2021
    Shelton WA
    Everybody was complaining that Fenders price hikes were too much but considering they are still considered the yard stick by which all others are measured I would say their prices are still fair. Maybe not as fair as Ibanez or Yamaha but it's all a matter of preference. I do agree that what banks call inflation (banking cartel theft of our purchasing power to cover their gambling losses) has gotten out of hand globally and needs to be reigned in. I feel worse for our European friends and having a " VAT" tax whatever that non sense is. I'm sure that and tariffs are a big part of the price hike for those awesome, and I do mean awesome Chech made basses!

Bruno1950, WesC, 2pods and 12 others like this.
  3. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    I've been fighting G.A.S. for a FGN Mighty Power (thanks for putting that in my head, LowEndLobster!).
    But I keep reminding myself what I really need is more time on the gear I already have, not more gear.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Personally, mortality is cooling my desire. I see so many people within ten or so years of my age, in either direction, dying, and I think I need to be playing and living more in general instead of having GAS attacks looking at websites or going to stores.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  5. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    Inflation has definitely affected my day to day. I had planned on trying to get a fretless but now I am thinking I’ll either just wait or try and snag something super cheap locally and defret it. My main bass and amp are all I “need” but a fretless would be enjoyable.

6. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I'm almost completely satisfied with what I have. Which means being kicked out of TalkBass!

7. Lowendchamp

Lowendchamp Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2021
    Shelton WA
    Dr. C, I would like to remind you how much of ones health is actually mental. You seem like you possess quite a bit of mental fortitude so I guess if I were you I would just let GAS happen if it was making me happy. I guess either way you would still make videos of your playing so I would still be entertained. Just remember what Blue Oyster Cult said..............

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I enjoy making videos. I see it as a public service. I would say I don’t fear the reaper. I want to get the most out of life.

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    This thread going to end up off the rails like the other recent inflation ones.
    For me, overall it's had minimal impact. For music related things - if I need it, I need it, and I get it.

10. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    I’m really good with what I have. At some point I would like to get another Stingray Special5 just to have a second one in a different sparkle finish. That’s certainly no priority and can wait. But I’m not interested in a different bass than what I already have.

As far as Peavey Cirrus go if I was in the market for one I would snatch up a used made in the USA one ASAP there is no way I would pay more for an import over the real deal. They also happen to be one of the best ways to get that Ken Smith type sound without spending KenSmith type money.

wmmj, Dr. Cheese and btmpancake like this.
  11. dalkowski

dalkowski It's "rout," not "route." Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Inflation doesn't enter into it for me. For months I was so tempted to order the special shell pink Squier Bronco from CME for a measly $199 until I finally admitted to myself that it would just gather dust.

12. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    I get a new rig about once every 12 years. Just got a new bass and amp in 21 so I am set for a while.

13. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    We have an incentive program at my work where we can turn points into gift cards for a bunch of places, including Guitar Center. I’ve done this in the past to pickup some new gear, but with the recent price increases, I know I’m not going to get as much mileage out of them, so I’m not totally jumping at the prospect like I would have 2-3 years ago. I can cash out for about $550 in cards right now and there’s nothing in that price range that I’ve gotta have. Likely that I’ll sit on them for a while until something jumps out at me, and it will probably be from the used section, just because I feel like the “new” prices just aren’t worth what you’re getting anymore.

14. Saw a couple still on Reverb the other day if you change your mind. :D

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  15. dalkowski

dalkowski It's "rout," not "route." Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Don't do me like that, brotherman. :cool:

wmmj, mikewalker, kesslari and 2 others like this.
  16. BarqsBitMe

BarqsBitMe

Dec 5, 2021
    USA
    And really, I think it is reasonable to say that maybe 20% or even more of the price of Fenders is because people will shell out more money for their headstock to say "Fender", especially those made in the US. I don't think the same fan-boyness exists to nearly such an extent for other brands even if they are directly comparable in quality. Not judging anyone for how they spend their money, just saying that Fender especially can get away with higher prices because of their world-renowned reputation that goes back to the birth of electric bass guitars.

Raoul_Duke, wmmj and Lowendchamp like this.
  17. Hartke's 15" KickBack combo just went from $549 to $609 at Sweetwater & B&H...inflation is might kill some impulse buying.

John Paul S and Daddy-R like this.
  18. BarqsBitMe

BarqsBitMe

Dec 5, 2021
    USA
    You monster.

19. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    They've all got the same notes, for the most part.

WesC, Jim Nazium, bassballs27 and 8 others like this.
  20. I'm actively avoiding any bass purchases for now. I bought so much stuff last year, so this time around it's #ayearwithoutgear. That said, I really do want another Serek...does it count if I order it now but don't get it until next year?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022