1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Influence of the wood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Da bass, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Da bass

Da bass

Apr 16, 2007
    How does maple, rosewood, ebony, basswood, ash (and all that kinds of woods) on the body and neck influence the tone of your bass?

2. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    Different woods have different densities or hardness. They resonate differently.

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    well, this article here gives a great arguement on the influence of wood on bass players.

4. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I don't think I can come up with a counter argument for that. :atoz:

5. Da bass

Da bass

Apr 16, 2007
    That has got nothing to do with the argument :scowl:

6. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Your electronics and hardware will have more of an obvious/audible difference.
    Hey you asked. :)
    Dirk

7. Da bass

Da bass

Apr 16, 2007
    I already know that it will make a difference but I'd appreciate if someone could be more specific. (i.e like maple (as I read somewhere) will make the sound more crisp and slappy)

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
  9. Depends on your rig and electronics. Certain pickups have such strong characteristics that wood doesn't matter. Other pickups and piezos can really reflect the choices in wood/construction.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Everything has it's effect. It's just a matter of degree for the specific instrument/rig/player/listener combination in question.

Because there are so many variables, attempting to precisely predict the effect of a specific component with any degree of accuracy is a fools errand.

11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Basses are made out of wood, so probably there's some effect.

But seriously, do you buy a bass because it's one kind of wood or another? Or do you pick up a bass, play it, decide it's good or not so good for you, regardless of what wood it's made of?

Or do you propose to find a bass that you DON'T like and somehow transform it into another kind of wood, to see if you like THAT?

Maybe there's a point to these discussions that escapes me.

12. Da bass

Da bass

Apr 16, 2007
    Let's just say that when buying a very expensive bass that will stick with you for the rest of your life, you really want to make sure that everything, including woods, matches the perfect tone desired for your bass.

13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    So how is that better than playing the damn thing?:eyebrow:

EBay is littered with "boutique" basses made to order so the buyer would get a "perfect" bass that somehow turned out to not do the job as well as, say, a Fender P.

It's a crapshoot, no matter what you do. There are marvelous old '40s Martin D-28s that don't sound all that good. The only answer is to play before you buy. Anything else is pixie dust.:D

14. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Oh goody, another tonewood thread! Is this the first one of 2008? ;^)

15. Well, it's the first one of... this week.

16. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
  17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
  18. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    Anyone who describes a specific tonality and ascribes it to a commercial trade name like maple, mahogany or rosewood simply has no clue about wood. When you get into real science with tests and stuff instead of just deciding truth by name calling & chest beating you will see people use the latin name to define a specific species. All three of the commercial names I mentioned will be used to sell woods not of that genus.

Add to that that wood is not homogenous and the variations within a genus can be greater than between different genus' and it should become clear that the basis being claimed for making each wood sound uniquely different doesn't exist in reality.

19. Da bass

Da bass

Apr 16, 2007
    Sorry everyone didn't know the woods were such a discussed subject. But thank you guys. Overall: woods are more of a color thing than actually tone differing.