Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    name top couple, no need for order, but reasons

John Myung of Dream Theater- what a great player. he can do anything like tapping and fast finger work. im starting to learn to tap cos of him

Cliff Burton of Metallica- yet another great player. loved the way he used different sounds and changed his style so in pulling teeth

Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath- the reason i started bass. all around great, and his style is intantley recognizable

Steve Harris of Iron Maiden- his style, his sound, his flair. he was all over but in a tasteful way. he writes great music
  2. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    My Friends - had a band, wanted me to learn bass and play for them, so I did, still playin for em too

Mark Hoppus (Blink 182) - Caroseul was my favorite song to play for awhile after I learned it

Mike Dirnt (Greenday) - Love practicin his weird rhythms

Sam Rivers (Limp Bizkit) - Anything he creates is just great to play and playin Bizkit's stuff just fills me with energy to jump around and crap

Jimi Hendrix (Jimi Hendrix) - He's left handed and he's good, what more do ya want
  3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    There is a bass player in blink 182? Ohwell iam just giving ya a hard time!

John Paul Jones-Some of the first stuff i learned and still love to groove with the man!

Jack Bruce-The man with the plan!

Now for rock i think the only really great bass player thats one the radio is Stefan Lessard-great theory and ideas!

but mainly mine are jazz players now and most wouldnt even know who they are!
  4. cliff b., geezer b., geddy lee. no needed explaintion
  5. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    cliff burton (Metallica)
    jeff ament (Pearl Jam)
    Mike Inez (Alice In Chains/ Ozzy Osboune)
    Adam Clayton (U2)
  6. Blimey, this post is rocker central!

Mine would be, not neccesarily bass players, or music with decent bass, but influences all the same...

Flea - I was peppers fans long before I started to play bass...

Bootsy. No comment needed, he rules.

Larry Graham - only got into him recently, but wow.

The Godfather of Soul, the man with the crown, James Brown.

Can't think of any more...
  7. wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    You guys are forgetting the people you hear everyday,Micheal Rhodes(first call Nashville),David Hungate,Neil Stubehaus,Nathan East.These guys play on alot of the music you hear everyday.
  8. "You guys are forgetting the people you hear everyday,Micheal Rhodes(first call Nashville),David Hungate,Neil Stubehaus,Nathan East.These guys play on alot of the music you hear everyday"

What music's that then?
  9. wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    All the hits on the radio.I covered players f/rock to pop to country.I guess you'd have to listen to the radio.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Oh no they don't! - I only listen to Talk Radio and CDs - these are mostly 60s Jazz, Classical Avant-Garde, Afro Cuban and Brazilian music.
  11. wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    ok Bruce so your a recluse,you know one who doesn't get out much.Like I said you'd have to be listening to the RADIO.Your stuff is good to Ilike that kind of music to I just don't want to see all the MTV pretty boys gettin all the credit for being the best players.
  12. Precisely, I avoid chart music like the plague!

I try to have a little to do with that purest of **** that is insultingly and ignorantly called music as possible.

In fact I doubt I've Mr East play since I last saw ol' slowhand on MTV a few years back.
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - last night I played with the Jazz Co-op, tonight I'm going to my local Jazz club for a few drinks and to see a good quintet (I know who the bass player is and have met him before) and tomorrow I'm playing a gig with the Latin band in Essex. I don't see how I could get out anymore? :rolleyes:
  14. I get my influences from all bassplayers..

some show me how to do it right ( jaco )
    and some show how NOT to do it right ( fieldy )

get my point ? :D
  15. I'm not a recluse and I never listen to the radio... partly because I dont have an aerial.

There wasn't any credit for best players going out, just listing influences... and since when has Flea or an ex-member of metallica been pretty!!

Another point I'd make is that these guys you're on about are session players... I personally can't see these guys as influences becasue they're chameleons - if they play on 10 differnet records they'll play with 10 different styles.
    They're obviously amazing players, but how can you favour someones style if it's differntly every time you hear them. Especially if they're playing chart crap most of the time?
  16. "I don't see how I could get out anymore?"

I don't think you're trying hard enough. Try sleeping in the car a few nights a week, or sitting in casualty for a night or two?!
  17. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada

Ditto :D
  18. The Sabbath do indeed rule, but I've never really seen the graetness of Geezer Butler.

You guys ever heard of rock producer Chris Tsangarides? - He did a couple of Sabbath albums in the 80's, as well as stuff like Thin Lizzy and Bruce Dickinson.
  19. wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    I don't think they would sound that much different if you put the albums together,granted some artists want it more sterile but overall I think it sounds similar.One more thing those guys are pretty boys all dressed up in their matching clothes and their hair all done up(strike a pose.)that reminds me Victor Bailey another one who ain't gettin his props he plays w/Madonna and also took Jaco's place at one time.
  20. Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    My influences are Jimi Hendrix, Jaco Pastorius, among the top. Next are some names such as famous bluesman Robert Johnson, what a great guitar player, Eric Clapton, Noel Redding-Hendrix's first bassman, John Paul Jones, and Jeff Ament and Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam. That duo really knows how to put it togethor in my opinion. While the guitar riffs soar from Pearl Jam, Jeff Ament is always there backing up every word of Eddie's and really shows what I think bass is all about, not necessarily keeping the beat with the drums, but about backing up the vocals, about showing inner depth within the lyrics of the song.