Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Influences

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by relman, Dec 17, 2001.

1. i bet you get this asked a lot...but i don't come here too often...so which players influenced your style? Also...what do you think of John Paul Jones (Zep)?

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

relman,

he's pretty good (jones) but I was more influenced by jack bruce, john entwhistle, james jamerson and even gene simmons as a kid. remember, I was born in 1957. the punk bass players had a huge influence on me also in the later 70s - like fred smith (television), graham lewis (wire), the guys who played in the pop group and the stranglers, kim gordon (sonic youth), lou barlow (dinosaur), kira (black flag), greg norton (husker du) - all kinds of cats who I can't think of now at the moment.

we're all part of a big chain or like john coltrane said: "music is a big reservoir."

on bass, watt

3. I've actually heard a lot about Television...are there any songs/albums you would recommend?

thanks

Ariel

4. watt

hi,

oh yeah - there's no albums w/original bassist richard hell (there are some bootlegs floating around though) but his replacement, fred smith, is a great bass cat too. I recommend the first single, "little johnny jewel (parts I and II)" on ork records and the first album "marquee moon" on elektra. righteous bass parts and playing.

on bass, watt

5. hi had no idea that richard hell was the original bassist for television!!! ya learn something new every day! i'd love to hear dick hell slingin' bass with TV! i'm gonn have to keep my eyes peeled for some of those boots. thanks for the info watt!!!

chris

6. watt

chris,

good luck!

on bass, watt