1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Influential or famous PJ players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gustavosal, Feb 17, 2008.

1. I was looking wistfully at pics of Lakland USA Glaub PJs and got to wondering about influential and/or famous PJ players.

The list that comes to mind is really short:

On Precisions with J-pup added:
    Tony Franklin
    Bill Laswell
    (Both fretless players, whatever that means)

And of course there's Reggie Hamilton, with the P-pup in a Jazz body.

I'm most interested in actual Precisions like Laswell's, or P-style basses with a J-pup added, like the modded Glaubs or the Sadowsky Metro hybrids. Of course, if there are influential/famous folks playing any of the various PJ kin like the G&L SB-2 I'd be curious to know more about them.

Who else comes to mind?

2. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Duff Mckagen (Something like that.. velvet revolver / ex-Guns'n'roses bassist..)

3. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Wooten.

4. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Stu Hamm has that J-P-J pup setup on his Fender Artist bass. I want to try that setup one day.

5. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Rocco Prestia (Fender P's and P-/Js, Fernandes P/Js, currently a Conklin P/J)

6. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Jeordie White took to playing one of those P/doubleJ Fenders with Perfect Circle, and our very own nysbob, Bad Bob Nyswonger, plays those Japanese Jazz Specials.

7. DLEE

DLEE

May 24, 2006
    Mableton ,Ga.
    Didn't Sklar use a P/J mutt on most of his recordings?

8. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Verdine White - His signature Ibanez and his current Yamaha.
    Doug Wimbish - with a P/J Spector. Come to think of it, most Spector players are probably laying it down in a P/J way.

DLEE - Sklar's most famous mutt is P/P, but he has handled a lot of basses and it probably wouldn't take much to find P/J evidence at some point in his career.

9. DLEE

DLEE

May 24, 2006
    Mableton ,Ga.
    Correctamundo!! I just found a pic of it. My Bad!

10. Wow, thanks for the replies so far. I spaced on Wooten--blinded by the Foderas. And I never would have thought of Duff McKagan. An interesting mix so far.

11. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    He's not really influential or famous, I guess, but I just watched Karl Sevareid playing a beautiful Fender P/J (black J body, gray pearl guard, rosewood fretboard w/white blocks and binding) with Robert Cray's band on the Crossroads 2007 DVD. A real looker (the bass, I mean!). The speakers on my TV are too crappy to say much about the sound, though...

12. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Come to think of it, all those Pedulla Buzz players are playing P/Js, from Mark Egan on, I think.

13. Robert DeLeo

14. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    Neil Stubenhaus...

15. Duff only ever use the P pickup, doesn't he? I've heard he never or rarely use the J pickup... live, anyway...

16. Anyone who has ever picked up a Spector, which would probably implicate almost every bassist during the 80's.

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

I was just thinking this as I trawled the list of Spector users last night, they were very popular with players in the 80's, especially in the rock scene! I bought one this week and I use it for fusion!

But as for badass PJ players...

Doug Wimbish (on a Spector!)
    Victor Wooten

and so on...

18. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I believe that steve digiorgio used to play a fretless PJ...

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The greatest fretless player of all time (imo) got the best fretless tone ever (imo) on a PJ...

Mr Bakithi Kumalo!

20. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    DAVE ELLEFSON?