Info about German luthier H. Holzke and Rufina bass made by him

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Hog Hansson, Jun 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I'm trying to find information about German luthier called H. Holzke and double bass that I own (see attached picture of a label for more information).

Any information of H. Holzke and the bass is very welcome.

I've been told that there's a long paragraph about Holzke in "German and Austrian Violin-makers" by Karel Jalovec. Appreciate if someone who has the book could scan or take a picture of that paragraph.

Rufina_bass.jpg

2. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Interesting. The location is "Bremerhaven", which is on the North Sea a bit west of Hamburg. Not a center of violin making by any measure. He was likely trained in the south, but set up shop in this area to service local musicians. I doubt you will be able to find much information about him, as there were, and still are, thousands of small shops spread widely throughout Germany. I found this at Amati.com:
    HOLZKE, Hermann Worked circa. 1894-1914 Bremerhaven, from 1920 Lehe, Bremen Germany. Stradivari model. Branded: ‘H. Holzke‘. Printed label: H. Holzke, Bremerhaven / Gebaut 1909 aus altem Tonholz / vom Umbau d. alten Leher Kirche H. Holzke, Bremerhaven / Gebaut 1912 No.. H. Holzke, Lehe / Geigenbauer / No. 85 Gebaut 1920
    So he did make at least two violins of interest, one with with "old wood". Both a bit earlier than your bass.
    Hope this helps!

Hog Hansson likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021