Info about Gibson-Era Tobias?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cagincet, Aug 10, 2019.

1. cagincet

cagincet

Aug 6, 2006
    Hi All!

I got a Gibson era Tobias, and the previous owner has no info on the woods electronics etc. I sent a mail to Mike, but he unfortunately said that he can not answer because it is made after he left.

Can we guess the woods, and maybe some of you can contribute to the subject such as manufacturing date, electronics, string spacing etc.

It is by far the heaviest bass I've seen. I have an MTD 635. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    If it's like my Growler, the neck is maple with purpleheart stringers, and the fingerboard is wenge. I've no idea what the body wood is, but I like it!

cagincet likes this.
  3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Not the best pics there, but I'm gonna guess wenge neck stringers and either mahogany or bubinga body. Can't see enough of the board, but I'll go with pau ferro or possibly wenge.

Any pics of the front? What model is it?

cagincet likes this.
  4. cagincet

cagincet

Aug 6, 2006
    Thanks! I added some more pics to the post for further identification. I only know from the body shape that it is a Tobias Killer B, the serial number shows 11161 nothing more. And it is by far the heaviest bass I've seen.

5. It's a Killer B, the neck stringers are Purpleheart and the body is Bubinga. I had the same thing except my body wood was swamp ash, one of the lightest basses I ever had :)

Fingerboard should be Pau Ferro.

It has the newer knobs, older models had the thinner plastic ones. I don't know when this change was made but I think it was mid to late '90s. Also older models had a black headstock.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    FRoss6788, cagincet and tindrum like this.
  6. 17.5mm string spacing which is slightly wider than the 17mm of the Classic, Basic, and Signature models. Those 3 models and your Killer B use reverse P pickups in a soapbar shape.

A handful of KB's were made in Burbank and I got to play a few in Rawn Randalls office shortly before they moved to Nashville. A great bass, it has a neck pickup closer to the bridge than the other Tobias models so it sounds a bit different.

7. Templar

Nice bass you have there. Not seeing any "purple" hue in your headstock pic, is the pic accurate color-wise? There's no question that my KB's stringers are the normal purple heart. Mine also has a wenge board and lacewood body. I know for sure that Gibson KB's were offered with bubinga, walnut, swamp ash, and mahogany bodies, as well.

Bart elecs, with radius'd pickup cases (a Tobias exclusive, I'm told) seem to be the standard on KB's. There are at least two different Bart preamp arrangements on KB's. No clue on the time-lines for which version came when. My stock KB Bart preamp and controls are odd, almost counter intuitive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

scottm likes this.
  8. Templar

Photo bucket is acting up again....more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tindrum likes this.
  9. Templar

upload_2019-8-11_12-44-43.png

10. cagincet

cagincet

Aug 6, 2006
    Thank you very much for the information! I didn't notice the neck pickup is closer to the bridge until you pointed it out! And I was aware of the fact that it was narrower than 19mm but didn't know exactly how much.

Thank you very much for the information! The pictures are accurate color-wise, so the stringers might be wenge.

Is there any way to inquire with the serial number?

Attached Files:

11. Templar

Dunno, maybe some info in the Tobias Club thread?....

Official Tobias Club

12. I'm sure it's purpleheart. There are many species of peltogyne that give us purpleheart lumber, some is very purple and some just lightly purple. But the grain patterns are the giveaway as are the white streaks in the pores.

cagincet likes this.
  13. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Good looking paddle!!!

If you can live with the string spacing, don't worry about it.

Weight - get a wide, padded strap... saddle up and take that beautiful bass for a ride!!!

cagincet likes this.
  14. Hercules

Hercules Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Southern Illinois
    beautiful bass. if you contact gibson with the serial # they will probably have some info for you. they gave me info on a growler that i had a few years ago.

cagincet likes this.
  15. mikeh66

mikeh66

Feb 4, 2013
    Contact Gibson. Give them the serial number!

16. mikeh66

mikeh66

Feb 4, 2013
    Contact Gibson. Give them the serial number!

17. GHOST AT

GHOST AT

May 24, 2011
    Don't contact Gibson they will send a Bulldozer or a Lawyer or both!:D

18. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA

Oct 6, 2007
    YEp Body is Bubinga and that neck has purpleheart in it. THe preamp is 18volt Bartolini.
    I have a similar era USA Tobias Basic 5 with serial number in 10,400 range. I will be selling my neck thru model, if this peaks anyones interest.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      179.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      175.4 KB
      Views:
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021