Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info about SWR Baby Baby Blue/+ additional cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tusitala, Oct 31, 2005.

1. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    Hi everybody, i wanted to ask you an advice before taking the final decision...

i'm really in love with the sound of the SWR Baby Baby Blue combo, i personally think that it has got the purest and clearest sound i've ever heard from an amp, and i'm serously thinking about buying it...

BUT i also know that it simply does not have the necessary volume that i would need for most of the gigs that i'm used to play (from small jazz clubs with no P.A. to theatres to bigger open-air venues)

so i was thinking about buying an additional cabinet to have the necessary volume...

what is your opinion about that? ...do you think it is going to work?
    has anybody of you ever had the chance to combine a small combo with an additional speaker? how did it go?

and of course, what kind of speakers would you add? 10'' 12'' 15'' 2x10'' ecc. ecc. or what??? ...which brand???

i hope somebody can help me...anyway thanks in advance for your support.

bye
    -tusitala

2. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Not sure what your volume needs are. Putting a 1x12 would definitely fatten up the sound a bit. Many have said that the Baby Blue has the best preamp SWR ever made. Plug that into a poweramp and any sized cabinet and you could take on the world.

3. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Have to agree with Soulfinger. 120-160 watts just isn't enough to compete in the large rooms with a loud band. I use a Baby Blue II and an Electric Blue II with an EA CxL112. Prefer the wider range of the EA cab. The tone is just flat beautiful! For large gigs you'd have to use a larger poweramp with more/larger cabs. They would work with a quiet band and PA support.

4. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    i'm sorry for my ignorance but what is a poweramp and what do you mean with "Plug that into a poweramp and any sized cabinet" ?

i was considering the 1x12 solution to add, i like the sound of that and i think it would combine well with the 1x10 that's already inside...
    what i wanted to make sure is that the equation "I NEED MORE VOLUME"="I ADD A CABINET" would work for me...

i don't play stadiums and open-air concerts always have a P.A. sistem...
    ...but sometimes even in jazz concerts things can get a bit heavy and i'd need a good amount of volume (not to blow things away, but a good amount)...

i have another question: on swr website the BB specifications say:
    Power Output 120 Watts @ 8 ohms RMS (internal cabinet )
    160 Watts @ 4 ohms (with 8 ohm extension cabinet US and Canada only)

what does it mean "US and Canada only"??? i'm from Italy Europe!!!

thanks for all your informations, i really need them
    bye
    -tusitala

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Just be careful!!!

I used my BBII a few times on gigs with an extension cabinet and got weird noises (a crackling sound) from the tweeter. SWR service told me the clip LED was inaccurate below 4 ohm loads (i.e. amp would clip but not light the LED) and the very low power increase indicates the amp isn't that happy with 2 ohm loads anyway (120 at 8 ohms, 160 at 4 ohms, 180 at 2 ohms).

The reference to US and Canada only probably has something to do with laws concerning advertised power ratings.

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    A suggestion would be to buy a powered cab, like a Wizzy that you could run a line out from your BB.

7. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    what's the difference between a normal speaker and a powered cab?
    thanks

-tusitala

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    A powered cab has a built in amplifier in the speaker cabinet. You would run a cable from the line out on your BB into the amp section of a powered cab.

9. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    thanks!

and what about a poweramp?
    what is it? ...what is it for?

do you have any experience about any? ...brands?

thanks
    -tusitala

10. Any of you Baby Blue owners or TB members know anything about the SWR Baby Blue I. Got myself a Baby Blue II here, with the 2 X 8s, loving it. Just wondering, was there ever a matching extension cab made for this combo? I googled it and results have been pretty limited so far. And, does anybody know of anybody who sells the covers for the Baby Blue II combo? Any of you owners ever roadcased yours?

11. I can only answer one of your questions: Yes, there was a matching extension. I have seen 2 for sale in the last year or so.

Mike

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I also heard there were at least two different versions, with two different manufacturers of the 8" speakers. if you search the web you might find some webpage explaining the finer differences.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Celestion BS-80, and an Eminence custom fairly close to the Beta, from what I've learned.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The original 2x8 drivers were supplied and co-designed by the bag end folks, at least according to my bbII 2x8 owners manual.

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i saw two bb extension cabs for sale in nyc about a year ago. $250 each.

yes bag end designed and made the original bb cabs, and a pair sounded really nice. much better than their 4x8.

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I read before that the Bag Ends were the original design, but they couldn't obtain enough in quantity, so they switched to the celestions. Never truly happy with the celestions, they eventually switched to the Eminence. I wish I could remember where I read that for reference . . .

17. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I gotta say...I love my bbII 2x8. I use it for DB amplification in small rooms with "jazz guys who play at responable volumes."

I can't really see using this amp for anything more than that in terms of live perfomance, even with an extension cab. I just don't feel it has that kind of guts.

I *loooove* it in the studio;)

18. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Just a curiosity question for the swr Baby Blue (NOT baby baby blue) what other amp would you compare the sound of the baby blue to??? SWR or otherwise.

I've heard SWR bass 350 with bass monitor 12's and the latest black beauty, but I have not heard the baby baby blue or the baby blue.

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the baby blue sound just like every other original swr amp. that is, the sm-220, sm-400, sm-900, bass 350, grand prix, bassic black, and redhead.

of course speakers used have a significant impact on the tone. but, the preamp sections of all the original swr amps sounded pretty much the same. Sure, the eq sections of the amps were all a little different, some had crossovers, some had compression and or limiting. however, if you ran them all flat into the same cabinet, you'd have a really hard time telling them apart.

20. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    IvanMike got that right in terms of swr preamp sound...
    As is though, the BBII 2x8 does have it's own voice. The bag end 8's are nice and beefy sounding (within their limits). The 5" mid driver is much nicer than any of the swr tweets imho.
    The eq section is better than the swr super redhead I have, all 3 bands are semi-para, whereas on the redhead, only the mids are.
    The owner's manual calls it a "bass reference system," and makes a big deal out of all the parts being hand measured and selected for much tighter tolerances than off the line parts...for whatever that's worth.
    As previously noted, I really like this amp, but, it is small!