1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Info about this Fender P Bass Please..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gastrok, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Gastrok

Gastrok

Oct 27, 2007
    I have the oportunity to purchase this bass, but I haven't been able to find out much about it...can anyone help

2008_-_008.jpg

2008_-_007.jpg

I'm particularly interested in knowing what kind of wood the body is...walnut perhaps?

I believe the string-through was done custom, but I'm not sure.

2. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Looks like Mahogony. And i really like it. Looks to be late 80's to 90's American P deluxe. But I really don't know for sure!

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've got no info, but that's a mighty fine lookin' bass.

4. Gastrok

Gastrok

Oct 27, 2007
    Is the string-through a typical option or do you think its custom? I've never owned a Fender and don't know much about them!

5. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    String Through is common on most if not every American fender.

6. It'a a fender precision bass lyte deluxe

7. Gastrok

Gastrok

Oct 27, 2007
    ah...thanks very much. you solved my little mystery!

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Not.

9. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    It's a MIJ Pbass Lyte with a mahogany body. The neck is much narrower at the nut than a "normal" PBass.
    The through body strings were standard, as were the active electronics (battery is under cover on rear).

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    That statement is not even close to being accurate.

It's going to depend on the model line and the year.

There was a good 30 + year run of top loaders only. (there may have been an odd version in there somewhere with string through, but nothing I can think of off the top of my head)

The MIA Highway Ones, are also all top loaders only.

Also, is the P Lyte Deluxe a MIA or MIJ?

Best guess would be late 80's, or more likely early 90's on that one. That's definitly a 90's style case.

Very cool bass.

11. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    All of Lytes were MIJ.

12. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Fender??? That body looks alittle oblong to me.... but mebe I might be mistaken but it don't look like a pbass to me

13. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Probably the 90's. I purchased a new one with that exact case sometime in the 90's, about a year before they discontinued it and more or less replaced it with the Zone, another lighter type of bass. Zone did not last for long.

I still have this bass. Have been past problems with the neck, so I do not use it a lot, but its a great bass. No neck problems with mine though. Wish Fender would put something like this out again but I have been thinking of the SR500.

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    All correct.

The body is smaller than a traditional P, but it is definitely a Fender product of the early 90s.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021