Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info about wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Peik, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    Hey
    I am the happy user of a bass that has a top made of Amazaque wood. Would anybody be able to tell me a little about this wood, like what is good and what is bad about it. It looks stunning, I think, but I would like to know what it does for my bass other than look good.

Thanks.

Be gentle, first time user. :)

Peik

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Amazaque, Guibourtia ehie, is more commonly known as Ovangkol, and is used extensively by Warwick for necks and bodies. I think Shedua may be another name for it, but I can't find the reference at the moment.

Welcome to TB.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Quite similar to bubinga. They are in the same genus, in fact. It's pretty dense and hard. Grain is almost always interlocked, producing roey or mottle figure on quartersawn surfaces. Generally lighter in color with less red tint than bubinga.

I have used it as neck stringers and for fingerboards. Warwick seems to be switching their product line from bubinga over to shedua/amazaque/ovangkol. I would certainly not hesitate to use it for laminate tops.

6. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanks for the answers and the good links.
    Looking forward to using this forum alot more.

Peik