Info? BEAD - Keep 45 - 105 strings?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by alembicbassist, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Hi,\

Well I did a search but did not find my answer.

I just detuned from EADG to BEAD keeping the same strings 45 to 105 strings. It is looser but seems tighter than I thought it would be, and not to bad to play. The neck is now perfectly flat with no buzz, and sounds good. I hardly ever used the G string.

Every one here seems to talk about using 65-130 stings, throwing away the G string and using a new nut or cutting the old. Anyone use the 45 to 105 strings? Is there a problem down the road that anyone sees? It would seem to be nice to convert back easy to EADG without having a new nut or strings.
  2. I can't see a problem at all and if it works well for you then it's even better. You've mentioned some of the possible caveats but they seem to have taken care of themselves i.e. the nut issue.

You might keep that brand and model of string written down somewhere so that you can duplicate it when you change. A different set, even one that has the same gauges, will likely react differently in this situation.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more than with what Ham infers - if it works great for you, screw the consensus here on TB!!!

Let your ears and your fingers be the judges, not what the "peanut gallery" says here.

I haven't used gauges that light, but that doesn't mean I'd like to try them. Most of the bassists I admire use lighter gauges than I and get super tone.

Moreover, you're in Texas??? Well, I'm not too far north of you and the weather sure is changing in our region. What I'm suggeting is that what works fine around here in May isn't so great in our region in late summer. I just had to do a total set up on my Skyline this week because autumn is around the corner and my action went beserk.
  4. Well its still hot here. I play indoors in very cold airconditioning and then later that day play outdoors with sweet running down my face. Major tuning changes.

I've kept my strings very low, but was liking the higher action with EADG for a while since I usually play hard. With BEAD it is low action again.

What I don't know is if the tone would change drastically from using light gauge strings to heavier gauge strings tuned BEAD. I'm not to worried about the neck if I go back and forth from BEAD to EADG a lot. I would think the neck could handle a lot of changes.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Neck, yes, strings, NO. You'll break strings at the spead of light retuning constantly. I know I was going through about a set a month when I was doing that.

I use the full 65-130 on my BEAD, and never have any problems. but, then I also tune it CFBbEb, or EADG down two full steps. The 65-130 strings actually make it a bit higher tension than EADG, but is actually really cool. In that the 105 string down two steps from A, is really close to E, a very small tune to get to an E for the cover songs we do. Maybe a 1/3-1/2 turn of the tuning key, and from F to E. It's spiffy.