Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

info needed aguilar pre/bass owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dougray, Jan 30, 2004.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    hello, i need info from people who have aguilar pre-amp equipped basses. someone who has maybe done some work on theirs..i need to know what volume control Kohm values and blend Kohm values,with passive pickups.you have in your bass..
    i want to make a comparison as what i am using..any info would be great,thanx in advance.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have two basses with obp-3's in them. I use 500K vol/blend pots with both. One is a Modulus Flea, so that's vol only as it only has the single MM pup. The other is an old Peavy Sarzo I've been refurbishing, it has dual humbuckers - I do think about trying it with 250K vol/blend sometimes to warm it up a bit but I can get plenty of warm low end with the obp-3 bass boost.

3. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    thanks for reply davidmwilson,that moduus you have ,did that come from the factory with those controls?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't know about from the factory. I'm not the original owner, when I got it it had the Lane Poor / OBP-1 combo. It had 500K vol pot on it then.
    When I upgraded to obp-3 (mostly so I could do some treble cut, it's a very cutting sound) I kept it at 500K

5. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    This might help you out.
    OBP-1
    OBP-3

Cliff

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It depends on what pickups you're using.
    Typically, passive pickups would require a 500K or 250K pot.
    Active pickups i.e. EMG's require a 25K pot.

What kind of pickups are you using? Brand, single coil, humcancelling?

7. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    hello,i am using the bart. MK1 type pickups(55-01).what i am using now(istalled) is the 500K volume with 500K blend,it sounds great..but it is a bit to "trebly",so i am going to try 250Kvol.250Kblend. all i know is i tryed a 25K blend with 250K volume and i didnt have any highs at all. i posted this thread to see what everyone else has(installed).thanks for replies.