Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info Needed on a 88' Reissue of 65' Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scooch, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    [​IMG]

I'm most likely buying this bass on tuesday but I have some questions about it first, mainly I looked all over it and it doesn't say where it's made, anyone know?

Also I'm not sure if the tuning pegs are orginal, they're really small compared to most of the fenders I've seen, is this normal on the 65' Jazz basses? Thanks.

2. Hey there
    First off, that's a reissue of the '62 Jazz, not a '65. That model goes for about $1250 US brand new, I believe, so it appears most of the asking price is for the relatively rare "custom color."
    The bass is probably made in the USA, unless there's a sticker on the heel of the neck saying it was made in Japan, and small tuners that are geared backwards are correct for the '62 reissue.

3. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    Ok thanks, one more thing I was wondering what each of the knobs do, there's two concentric knobs, so I'm assuming some sort of volume/tone for both the neck and bridge pickup?

Edit: Also I was looking on the Fender site for the correct manual on this site
    http://www.fender.com/support/manuals/instr_owners.php

I think it would be the closest manuals I could find were the -

Reissue '62 Jazzmaster® (Japan,1986)
    U.S. '62 Vintage Jazz Bass® (1983)

So I'm really confused on what exactly this bass is.

4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida

It is a 62 Vintage Jazz

The way the controls work, two sets, one for each pickup. On each control you have a outer control (tone) and the inner one is volume. At least that how it was on mine.

5. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    You have one too? What do you think of it?
    and if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay?

6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Geez, I have to think back now. It was around 1988 that I had two 62 re-issues with the stacked controls (one fretted and one fretless). I don't recall what I paid for them (got them both new), but it was under 1k a piece, I know that.

From what I remember, they were both great basses. I used them on the road for about two years. But I ended up getting rid of them after I bought my Alembic 5-string. Actually I dumped all my 4-strings and just played in 5ers. What a mistake! Damn I wish I stil had those two Jazzes!!

Now last month I picked up a new 62 re-issue jazz fretless from Japan. It doesn't have the stacked controls, but it is a awesome bass.