Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info needed on Kahler bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dagger, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Dagger

Dagger

Aug 2, 2002
    North Carolina
    This bridge came off an old bass with no markings and was pretty ragged out. You could tell the bridge had been added. It is a roller bridge with tremolo. Yep, tremolo. It's made by Kahler and is heavy duty. Four string and not string thru body. There is no model number. Just a patent number and under Kahler says made in USA. Any info on this relic and value would be appreciated.

2. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I have one. Do you need/want it?

3. Dagger

Dagger

Aug 2, 2002
    North Carolina
    No, thanks anyway. Just wanting info and value if any.

4. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I have no idea what it's worth. It works like a charm though.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    They go for decent $ on ebay. I have one on an Ibanez. It works pretty well and is fun. Of course, I have no real use for it in my cover band...

I'm pretty sure there were two versions of the Kahler trem (mine is the first.) They changed the roller position -- the 2nd version has the rollers right next to the ball end of the string, and that is a better design if you ever have to mess w/ your action.

6. the two diffent modles are for diffent basses depnding on how far away the bridge is from the bottom of the bass. since hipshot has put out there own trem, for around 150 ur not going to be able to get as much now. or maybe even more.

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Why does distance from the bottom make a difference?

8. there's two types a rear roller and front roller,if the stock bridge is pretty close to the bottom of the bass ull have to use a rear roller, so the rout will fit on the body and the trem wount over hang and ull be able to set the Intonation right.say i took the rear roller trem of my jazz bass and put a front roller on in the same place. the saddles would be way to far fowards like 1 to 1.5 nches . if u reroute so the saddle will be in the right place the route would begoing throug the bottom of the bass and over hanging.

http://electricguitar.50megs.com/tremolo1.htm scroll down and look at the kahler trem on the red bass, thats a rear roller. if it was a front roller it would be hanging off the bottom,cause u would have to move it down 2 or 3 inches.

9. iam allways looking for more trems so pm if u got one.

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Interesting. I have a front roller, and I can't lower my action any more because the string hits the holder thingy behind the roller. I can put the roller lower, but it doesn't help because the holder keeps the string up. Any ideas?

11. if u got a bolt on shim the neck, i did that. or trace ur trem on ur bass and route it so the trem is counter sunk in to the body.

12. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I think we should make Warwickben our resident expert on tremolo bridges.

I'm very impressed with your knowledge of them, Ben.

Pkr2

13. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    That's exactly what I was thinking, thanks. Unfortunately, it's a neckthru so that countersinking procedure is going to take a bit of work.

14. thank you, thank u very much.

i know two little tricks that u can do with a kahler so u can do dive bombs/or just beable to make the trem go lower(like lossen the string even more .sorry i cant think of the word) .

any ways,there a little post on the under side that screwed in,it limits the travle of the trem. remove it, and and ull be able to press the trem down more.when i got my trem from nino he told me his was missing it but it makes the trem be able to go lower and most people removed them any ways. also when u rout the bass if u extend the route 3/16 out, on the side the string ends are liek going towards the strap botton not side ways,u can go even lower. if i press the trem bar all the way down, the strings get so lose u can barley hear them(ucant hear the e string on my combo when i have the bar press all the way down. and and u can see the strings drop towards the floor(if u like dimebag u should know wat i mean). sorry if that doesnt make much sense i just got up.

15. Unfortunately, it's a neckthru so that countersinking procedure is going to take a bit of work.

is it because the router would hit the finger board, if so get a peacie of wood the thickness of the finger board or bigger route the shape of the trem out of it and then place the wood on thhe top of ur bass, u get a template and u do have any thing in the way of the route,
    thats if u removed the picups,and contols.

i wanna start a thread post pics of ur bass with a trem now.

I think we should make Warwickben our resident expert on tremolo bridges.
    i would like that

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    No, I'm not going to do it myself. I just met a cool tech last night, I'll call him on Monday to see how much $ for countersinking. I'll tell him about your tips. I'm also not sure how much deeper the rout can go without coming out the back!

17. i dont mean deeper i mean longer like if the bass is sitting in the stnd extend the route farther liek towards the starp button. like were the string ends are make it so the route is under the bridge on the bottom not flush. sorry its hard to desribe with otu pics. can some one post a pic of the route with sizes, i could explain that way much better.

18. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    No, I know what you mean. Moving it back toward the strap button is what you were talking about for more arm travel.

The mod I need is to keep the string from resting on the roller support thingy instead of firmly on the roller itself. This is the countersink mod you described above that will help me get better action (can't shim because it's a neckthru).

19. so ur worried that after u counter sink the trem and reroute it the route will be going thew the back of the bass,i know that u can counter sink it like 3/16 with out haveing to reroute the trem hole. measure how deep the route is now and how thick the bass is and figure out how much u can counter sink it.

20. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Wow, you really do know a lot about these! Even if it did go through the back it wouldn't be the end of the world -- guitarists w/ Floyd Rose trems go all the way through and just put a plate on the back.