1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Info needed on old double bass

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by JvanS, Nov 3, 2010.

1. JvanS

JvanS

Nov 3, 2010
  2. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Hi Jacob,

I lurk at Maestronet and was following your thread there. I believe this bass to be Germanic and to be about 50-100 years old. It has obviously some cosmetic damage and issues. In it's current condition I would expect some where in the $4-6K range. (Depending on how it sounds...)

Hope that helps and that others will chime in!

Best,
    Brian

3. JvanS

JvanS

Nov 3, 2010
    Brian, a million thanks. I'll be watching this thread.

The instrument belongs to a friend-of-a-friend, retired and sick, and in need of money. I'm trying to help by establishing some kind of pedigree and resale price. I'm definitely not in the market to either work on it or handle the sale, but at least if I can get the guy some info he might be in a better position to market it at a realistic price.

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I agree with Brian. If the top needs to be removed for repairs plus touchup, plus bridge, fingerboard and neck reset, the buyer will be in for another 5-6k, give or take. After all that, if it sounds good, it could be a 10-12k bass in the right market. If I were a buyer, I wouldn't offer more than 3k if it sounds great as is.

5. Where is the instrument located?

Probably the best thing to do is take it to an interested restorer. They'll know what they're getting and can offer a fair price.

6. bigolbassguy

bigolbassguy

Feb 13, 2010
    Billings, MT