Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info needed on Peavey-rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Charmand G, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    Hi, there!

I just wanted to know if any of you are sitting on some valuable info on this rig I have. I`ve had it for 7 years now, and it`s got a really punchy and room-filling sound, some ground-noise, but thats the only problem with it so far. I like it really well, and it works quite good with my `Wick. Nonetheless, I don`t really know anything about. If it`s known to be great/good/sucky on the market, it`s history, if it`s something I should keep or if thère`s any serious problems with it. Any info is highly appreciated!! ;)

It`s a Peavey MarkIV 800watts-head (320w in 2ohm), with built-in compressor. The cab is a Black Widow 400BH. Both from about 1982.
    [​IMG]

2. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    :) Yeah, I did search, but only found two posts with MarkIV, and searching on "Mark IV"...well, there are many persons named Mark out there, so I didn`t bother to glance through all threads. Thanks for the info, though!

3. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    Correction, I found a bit more info, inclining that it is a very good amp, although its a heavy kit and not easily thrown around.:)

4. I do know that some people around here might pick on you for having a cab that big.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    That is exactly the setup I use at our band's practice place.

It's not mine...their former bass player just abandoned it. Personally it sounds like mud to me...but it could just be the 18" I don't like. It kicks out some serious volume though. :D

That cab has a built in crossover...you can either plug in normal, or use the hi/lo and drive the 18" seperate from the 10's.

6. Good solid rig. The peavey manual, which I assume you've downloaded, is a great resource. I've played through the Mark IV and just like any amp, it takes some dialing but I found a tone that I liked. For the price the thing, especially that cab you have with it, can't be beat. Only issue is the weight. If your just using it for practice space then cool, if your having to move it a couple of times a week for practice and gigging, not cool. But, people say the same thing about my T-40 and I don't mind the weight, so to each his own!

7. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    Thanks for the replies, guys!

I don`t use that much for gigging, just the occasional jam-session and rehearsal. Live I get to use an Ampeg SVT Classic/Ashdown+8x10" from the local soundtech-distributor.
    ...but the Peavey is louder, hehe. ;)