Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info needed on Roscoe basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by booch, Jun 14, 2005.

1. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Hi all,

Does anybody have some information on Roscoe basses? This one is a left handed Roscoe LG 3005 with ash body, purpleheart fingerboard.

The thing is I cannot try it. I know it's at the best risky to buy an instrument w/out playing it, but I'm out of choices.

Thanks!

2. There have been lots of threads about Roscoe basses, and we have lots of Roscoe fans here. What is it, specifically, that you'd like to know?

Mike

3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Ask away...

Why are you out of choices? If it's one thing we bass players have is a lot of choices.

4. Booch,
    if it's a newer Roscoe (like in the last 4 years) it's going to be great. The only real variable on Roscoes that I've experienced is -- "do the wood and electronics combination fit my playing style?"

Let us know if you have some more specific questions.

Gard, are you around??

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...huh....

(looks around in state of confusion)

...uh...oh, who...me???

:oops:

Gotta serial number? If so, I can probably track down any info you might want about the specs, date of manufacture, original dealer.

6. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Hi,

The thing is, I live in Hungary. By the time American basses arrive here (customs tax, various inland taxes, transport fee, dealer's profit) they end up costing about 2-3 times their retail price! In addition, people earn formidably less here.

With my $500-600 monthly salary I could have hardly afforded a MusicMan Stingray5 for $3000 (!). This axe retails around $1300 in the US so finally I got one online. Only because of the reputation I dared to buy one without actually playing it.

That's why I have no chance to try a bass... You can't buy Roscoe basses here (so it's not possible to try and play them). So all that remains is the Net...

Info about the bass:
    I know it is hard (if not impossible) to describe a bass tone in words, but that's just what I'd ask :)

I'm looking for an instrument with a round, full tone. I don't really like basses that sound like a piano (Victor Wooten is a genius and I love to listen to him, but I wouldn't want to have that kind of sound). Think about a Victor Bailey-like sound. Defined contours and attack, very solid tone. Gives a foundation to the music.
    Even while slapping, I don't like the typical "bass and treble boost" as a lot of players doing this end up having highs that cut my head off and lows that blow speakers, but not an actual tone; mostly you just hear high clanking... absolutely unsuitable for laying down the foundation for the music.

Thanks in advance!
    Booch

Edit: I didn't buy the Stingray because I'm very happy about the tone, I just had the choice to have a higher class bass.

The thing I mainly expect from a bass is to play exactly the way it IS PLAYED. The Stingray has a strong sound but it does not matter how you play it, it has the exact same sound. In other words, if you only play this instrument, you lose all "touch" with the sound as regardless of the mistakes and unevenness it sounds the same... With a good instrument it's possible to change the tone without playing around with the knobs and so. You just pick softer and close to the neck and you have a warmer, full tone etc.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Booch -

Well, with the limited information you've given, I'll do my best to give you a good idea of the tone of the bass.

The body wood being ash will give it a punchy well-defined attack, with strong midrange response. The fingerboard being purpleheart will be similar to a maple fingerboard, with a snappy and bright top, and a solid fundamental. I find purpleheart to be a bit smoother and not quite as bright as maple, but similar otherwise.

Without knowing the top woods and electronics, I can't comment on them.

Basically, the "Roscoe tone" is very rich, full, and thick, with a VERY solid low end, while maintaining excellent clarity. This comes through on every bass in my experience. They are responsive to your input, so to answer your question about it sounding like you play it (dig in, it gets aggressive; back off, it mellows out): Yes, it does that.

If you can let me know any more specifics, I will be happy to help.

8. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Gard,

Thanks for the info!
    This bass is listed on Bass Central's site in the lefties section.
    http://www.basscentral.com/2003/lefty.shtml

Here just search in your browser for "Roscoe". This is the only roscoe lefty listed.

The only info available is the following:
    Trans Red Flame Maple Over Ash Body, Purpleheart Fingerboard (and Black hardware, but it hardly counts...).

I am also thinking about selling my Stingray5 here and saving the money for an MTD USA 535 bass. I once had the luck to be able to try one. That is the ultimate bass in "playing fidelity" - plays exactly the way I want it! However, it probably costs significantly more so that remains to be seen.

Thanks again!
    Booch

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Booch, have you e-mailed Bass Central to check on that bass? It does happen that they sell them quickly and the picture will stay on the website for a few weeks afterward.

10. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Gard,

I have and they answered it is preferred to buy a bass I know so there is no disappointment with

the deal if it's not my kinda tone; they suggested that maybe I should buy an MTD instead, as I

have played one before.

That's why now I'm trying to get as much info on Roscoes as possible. I'm only going to have the

money in some weeks so I'm in no rush. Anyway, lefty basses don't seem to sell too well thanks

to the lack of left handed bassists so probably it'll still be there.

Thanks,
    Booch

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Can I piggyback on this thread (the current Roscoe one) and ask anyone who knows....what happened with the Roscoe LG-3000 with jazz bass PU's I saw some pics of last year? How did it turn out?

Question 2, the 4-strings are all 34", k-rect?

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Wilby -

Keith said that the J equipped bass turned out very well, he was happy and so was the customer! :)

Yes, the 4's are standard at a 34" scale length, but we will do a 35" as a custom order item.

13. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Gard-

Thanks for the note, it is nice to have an insider at the Roscoe office. I'm pretty much from the Winston/Gboro area. Keith gave me the tour one time. The best instrument I've ever played was a cocobolo LG-2000 4-string (flat top) that came out of the shop in the early 90's.

I'm pining for a fretless LG that would do the Jaco thing + that great Roscoe growl; spanish cedar and J PU's might do the trick. (I've actually got some Bart 9W4J's, which were their fretless specific PU's). You might see the order come in before too long.

W

14. Wilby,
    Why wait for a custom order like that? I have a SKB fretless 5 that does the Jaco thing like crazy! There are Roscoe fretlesses all over the place. 2 or 3 at Bass Central, 2 at Atlanta Bass Gallery, and I thought I saw one at Bass NW (might be mistaken). You might save some $$$ if you move a dealer's stock vs. get a custom order.

15. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    BG-

I see tons of LG-3005's everywhere, but I'm a 4-string/34" scale guy. I haven't seen a fretless LG-3000 on the market for a while. I've also got a pretty strong preference for having a set of regular jazz PU's in the 60's position; so, if I'm going to order one anyway that's what I'd prefer.

Of course, that begs the question, why Roscoe? Noone else offers the deadly spanish cedar/diamonwood fingerboard combo! I also kind of have a sentimental thing for Keith's basses having spent so much time in that area.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    W -

Very happy to be here! :)

We can do that man, just say when...of course you have to work through a dealer, but if you want to get over here and cruise the shop again, be glad to have you (and you could even pick your own top ;) ).

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    booch, I get pretty much the sound and dynamics you're looking for from my Roscoe. It has a Spanish cedar body with a maple top and a rosewood fingerboard, Bartolini pickups and electronics.

If there's a woods/electronics combination that will better suit your needs Bassmanbob, Gard, and the rest of TB's Roscoe players will give you great advice. You picked the right place to ask, this is where I learned about Roscoe basses. :)

- Art

18. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Hey Gard any other pickup options besides Barts?

19. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Booch,
    I'd say the Roscoe is just what you're looking for.
    "Round, full tone......not the "typical bass and treble boost" that ends up having highs that cut your head off...
    All that you need to decide is which preamp you need to really fine tune your sound. Real briefly, the Bart 3-band has awesome mid control, nice low end & decent highs although somewhat harsh; the Demeter 3-band has nice lows, glassy highs (Hi-Fi) and subtle but adequate mids; the Aguilar 3-band has nice lows, great mid control and highs that are a great compromise between the Bart and the Aggie. Wood combinations certainly enhance/affect the sound (I'm partial to Spanish cedar bodies) but reguardless, it'll still sound like a Roscoe! :bassist:

You also may want to check out the following Roscoe TB Threads:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113281&highlight=roscoe+demeter

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161346&highlight=roscoe+demeter

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182265&highlight=roscoe+demeter

Good luck!

20. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Nice job Joe. I think I remember him saying he wants to do some slap with the Roscoe. For that, I would probably go with the Demeter preamp.

While we are talking about Roscoe tones, when I got my new fretless Roscoe SKB-3005, I didn't want to compre the Demeter preamp to the Bart Preamp because I needed to put new strings on my Fretted SKB-3006. I've put the same strings on the Bart Roscoe I have and I have to say that I really like the Demeter more than the Bart.

Both my basses have Ash bodies. The fretless (Demeter) has a quilted maple top and the fretted (Bart) has a Box Elder Burl top. From what I've read, these two woods (maple and Elder Burl) are cousins. I think the maple is a little harder than the Box Elder, but I don't think by much. My point here is that they are pretty similar.

I find that the Demeter preamp really helps you to cut through the mix. The rest of the guys in the band really light up when I bring out the Demeter Roscoe. It just has more presense (spelling).

I'm going to send back my Fretted Roscoe to have the Demeter preamp installed. That reminds me to go e-mail Gard.