Info needed on this Wal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toasted, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The seller of this bass tells me that it's a Wall Custom. But, to be quite honest, it looks like a Wal to me. The price is low, and i think i could have stumbled on a bargain, maybe.

Heres the interesting part the blurb reads:

"this has a 'Musicman' neck and is believed to have belonged to Paul youngs' ex bassist.It plays like a dream and sounds fantastic it has the usual active pick-ups[...]i can't confirm which it is as the neck and head have been customised"

Is there anyway that i can really ID if the body is a Wal, or the neck is reshaped MM. Ive never seen and MM with a wooden stripe in the headstock, and ive never seen a Wal with that control layout!

Here are the pics:

Any help appreciated as always.
  2. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    It looks like a home-made knockoff of a Wal --which is probably why the seller refers to it as a "Wall". The headstock is very similar to a Wal, as is the body style. However, the MM part about the neck is very believable, given the layout of the tuners. The pickups are definitely NOT Wal pickups. In fact, they definitely ARE Ken Smith Pickups, which makes sense since they, along with Lane Poor pickups, can come very close in sound to Wal pickups, IMHO. Just by the layout, it looks like the electronics might be a Bartolini 5.2 or 5.3 harness but it could also be a Basslines or other preamp (are those wooden knobs?). The bridge is also not Wal, but rather a Schaller roller-type bridge.

Despite being a "Wall" and not a "Wal", it looks like a very interesting and well-made bass. BTW, is that a 6 bolt configuration on the neck (hard to tell from the picture), because that would be a nice touch, too.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah it doesnt look like a Wal at all, maybe a clone,but not a Wal.
  4. The body is shaped somewhat like a Mach II. The unique Wal bridge and string tree are not present. It also appears that there is no DI so the Wal electronics would not be there. The tuners and controls aren't correct. Also, is it just me or are the pickups crooked? Most Wal pickups have "Wal" embossed into the cover but I can't tell from the photo. Have I missed anything?

While the headstock is similar that's about it. Trussrod adjustment at the headstock end is wrong.

I wish that the news was better, Toasted. Too good to be true is often just that. Sorry.
  5. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thanks guys, this is why i come to talkbass. Theres three experts on every subject :)

Thanks alot, ill be leaving this one alone
  6. "this has a 'Musicman' neck and is believed to have belonged to Paul youngs' ex bassist"

I remember an Elites ad which had Paul Young's bassist (Kevin something?) posing with a Musicman Stingray with a replacement neck with a 4-inline headstock- which had Roger Giffin's signature on.
    It wouldn't surprise me if this Wal copy was built by him.