Info on A/E P-Bass Needed Please...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MisterBlue, Sep 2, 2003.

1. MisterBlue

Aug 10, 2003
    I have a MIJ Acoustic/Electric Semi Hollow Body P-Bass with F-Holes. It's the one with the piezo pick up in the bridge. It's a brown burst color and was bought in 1992(?). Anyone have any info on these basses like what years they were produced, how many, etc. Thanks in advance!
  2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i played a hollow body P with a P pickup, and i'm sure a piezo- it was natural/brownish, fretless, and had a bitchin tone to it, thats all i can tell you-its the only one i've ever seen (BTW, it was in a music go round for about $600).
  3. MisterBlue

Aug 10, 2003
    Oops, yeah that sounds exactly like mine. I forgot to mention that it is fretless.:) Anyone know anything about these basses?
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They were made for about 2 years, around 1990. There were fretless and fretted versions. Some of the fretted ones had hockey stick headstocks and were sold as the HM (Heavy Metal?) Precision Bass. The P pickup was a Lace Sensor and the bass had the infamous Fender "TBX" tone control.

They were unpopular at the time and so have been traded for low $$$ for some time. When new they cost over $1000 (street)!!!!
  5. MisterBlue

Aug 10, 2003
    Thanks for the replies guys! It is appreciated.