Info on a Pawnshop Double Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ErkMerk, May 3, 2012.

1. ErkMerk

ErkMerk

May 3, 2012
    Hey all,
    So I was in a local small pawnshop for some odd reason, and stumbled on an upright and was thinking of grabbing it to tinker on, but price seemed high of course, for what looked to be a slightly beaten up bass. F holes were a little dippy, back of neck a little chippy. I have looked and looked online and not found much more than the supplier info/website. I have to go back and look but "Classical Strings" out of California seems to be where it came from. According to site may be made in China or there. I can't find any of their dealers, so can't pin down what I can talk to price down to from $1100 with no facts yet....

http://images.craigslist.org/5I35N95Je3K33F23J6c4ufc8d0555a31c18a0.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/5Gb5Z25U53G33J13o9c4uba6f4e8c3fc7124f.jpg

....any info anyone may have would be great!

2. ErkMerk

ErkMerk

May 3, 2012
    I was thinking more realistically in the $500 range. They took my number for the case it will go there.

3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Which model is it? According to the website they only make hybrids and fully carved basses. Can you get a player in town to play it?

If it plays well $1100 for a hybrid bass, full circle, and bow ain't a horrible deal.

Edit: you'd be surprised what you find in a pawn shop every once in a while.

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Can't tell much from those pics, but it could be a good deal at $1,000 if it doesn't have issues.

Where did you get the idea that it should be $500? Gut feeling or something else?

5. First, tell us why you were in the pawnshop.

6. ErkMerk

ErkMerk

May 3, 2012
    ....sorry was out of town for a week and half, than right back to work. Going to check back on it this week to look more into it as I was just stopping in the pawnshop quick at way home. I'm more of a thrift store guy! Thought 5 just because of the quickly accessed condition and familiarity with the PS markup, not to mention this is a small small, not where I'd expect this bass to end up sort of store.

About three years ago I founded a crusted up ring in a creek swimming, and after cleaning up found a halfway decent wedding band. After posting on craigslist and years later forgetting I still had it figured I'd at least see if anyone wanted to buy it since seemed to have been far removed from owner at that point. Random, I know! HA

7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Wow! "In a pawnshop in Chicago, on a sunny summer day,"! ;)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021