Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info on a West German Meisel?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ctcruiser, Mar 16, 2005.

1. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I am purchasing my first double bass.

It is a Meisel bass with a label that says "Made in West Germany" "Model 9000" "Serial 5103".

I am buying it from a local luthier who is going to set it up for me as left handed.

Can you anyone give me any info on this bass?

When it was made? Where in Germany?

I sent an e-mail to Meisel but I have not received a reply.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Is he putting a new Bass Bar on the opposite side?

3. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Wouldn't moving the bassbar to the opposite side of the instrument's top be an expensive and time consuming repair/modifacation?

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    But necessary to set up a bass for left hand, right? Because the bass bar is under the E string and the soundpost is under the G string side of the bridge for a specific reason, right?

It ain't like EUB, where you just swap the strings over.

5. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You get the point though, right?

7. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    That's right.

8. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I did speak with a representative from Meisel. She explained that their records only go back 12 years.

This is a plywood bass from the 50's or 60's.

I guess I will have to try and find someone who has old Meisel catalogs.

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Catalog or not, the Bass Bar is on the wrong side for a lefty. This is Major Surgery and not to be performed by a Novice. It can make or kill the Bass depending on the job Performed.

IF you play with Righty Stringing, then it doesnt matter. The whole issue should be. "how much to make it into a Real Lefty and is it worth it on a Plywood Bass"?

It wont cost that much more to do this to a Real Bass that is acutally carved and holds it's Value.

I have seen some Lefty converted Basses for sale b4 on BobG.s Site and Netinstruments.com as well.. Shop for one converted already if you can afford it.

Do not take this advice lightly unless you want to ruin the Bass and loose any investment possible.

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    plywood bass, carved bass; they are ALL real basses... jeez...

11. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    That depends on whose world we are in..... Why did they make plywood Basses to begin with?.. Wht didn't they make Plywood Violins at that same time?.. Huh?..Huh?

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    well we all live in the same world. i do not know why they make plywood basses. I do know however that plenty of people are makign money playing plywood basses. So if they are not real basses what are they ?

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    so if I went out and got a hybrid would I have "dual citizenship" in both of your worlds?

14. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    Wow, Ken. Lighten up.

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I must be imagining the sound coming out of my Engalhardt.. dang do I have a good imagination! ;)

16. Imagine, a world where all the basses are carved, and re-carved.... If you are Ken Smith, that is the real world. And it is also flat;- if you try to sail to China, you will fall off the edge, especially if you are in a plywood boat.

But seriously, his advice in this matter is most correct. For a right handed bass to really be converted the bass bar and sound post have to be reversed from their current positions or the sound will not be right and the bass could suffer damage. I think one of the best bets would be to order a carved Bulgarian lefty from Bob Gollihur. Probably won't cost as much as having the Meisel converted, of course you should still get a pro set up when it comes.

It doesn't narrow it down much, but the bass was built in West Germany. So you know it was built after WWII and before the unification in 1989. And it wasn't built in any town in the part that was East Germany. So if you can find out where the West German Meisel factory was between those years, that would be the best start on the geography. They are still making the same model so getting to the age may be more difficult. If you keep googling, you may turn up one with an original owner and serial # to compare. It appears to be the entry level model and retails for $2395 currently.

17. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    After reading the comments regarding lefty conversion of right handed basses, I spoke with the luthier to see if he could order a lefty Engelhardt ES-1 for me.

He came back with a price slightly more than what I had for a budget, but it was a few hundred dollars cheaper than any price I could find on the internet for a right handed model and shipping costs.

So I ordered the lefty ES-1 and hope to have it in about a month or so.

I think it should be a good decision and look forward to having my first DB.

Thanks for your input.

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Here's looking forward to you getting your first HundHause.

19. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Or is it Hause auf der hund ?

20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Miene Haushunde ist gut fer das jazzgehgiggen und alzo der ihnsitzen, but nein zo con arco. Egzept, der balladennotenfinal.