Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info on an engelhardt

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Eilif, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I have an opportunity to purchase an Engelhardt 3/4 double bass it is a C-3 model and the owner is asking 900 for it, is this a good deal? It only a few years old
    I await your collective wisedom
    Eilif

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    I am not familiar with the "C-3" designation for an Englehardt. "C" typically stands for Concert Model, but I believe most of those are designated as EC-1.

Anyway, $900 is not a bad price, but the question goes to set-up and fingerboard. Is it properly set-up? Is the fingerboard ebony or rosewood? I would bet the latter. If the fingerboard is ebony, the $900 price tag becomes more attractive.

Then.......how are you gonna use it? You probably won't get a chair in the local symphony playing it, but if you're playing jazz or bluegrass, and if it is properly set-up, then it's a good bass.

Finally, how does it feel to you?

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Is it a 3/4 size bass. The current EM-3 is a 1/4 size bass, the EM-1 a 3/4 size bass. And as mentioned, the EC-1 (lowest priced Engelhardt with maple fittings) is the Concert Model 3/4 size currently offered. One could conclude that a C-3 would be a Concert 1/4 size that may have been offered at one time.

If it is 1/4 size (measure the string length from nut to bridge; around 35" would be 1/4 size, as opposed to 42" inches for 3/4 size.) then the price would be high.

I have seen used 1/2 size Engelhardts, too (around 39 inch scale length), but none are currently offered. A half size Engelhardt is very good condition could fetch $900, but that would range on condition and the general quality of the bass. The 1/2 Engelhardt I once played didn't impress me, when compared to other laminated instruments.

Also, you can get a new Engelhardt Concert EC-1 for only a few dollars more than the cost of this bass. You can see the range of current Engelhardt models at: http://www.bobthebassguy.com/engelhardt.html