Info on an engelhardt

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Eilif, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    I have an opportunity to purchase an Engelhardt 3/4 double bass it is a C-3 model and the owner is asking 900 for it, is this a good deal? It only a few years old
    I await your collective wisedom
  2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    I am not familiar with the "C-3" designation for an Englehardt. "C" typically stands for Concert Model, but I believe most of those are designated as EC-1.

Anyway, $900 is not a bad price, but the question goes to set-up and fingerboard. Is it properly set-up? Is the fingerboard ebony or rosewood? I would bet the latter. If the fingerboard is ebony, the $900 price tag becomes more attractive. are you gonna use it? You probably won't get a chair in the local symphony playing it, but if you're playing jazz or bluegrass, and if it is properly set-up, then it's a good bass.

Finally, how does it feel to you?
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Is it a 3/4 size bass. The current EM-3 is a 1/4 size bass, the EM-1 a 3/4 size bass. And as mentioned, the EC-1 (lowest priced Engelhardt with maple fittings) is the Concert Model 3/4 size currently offered. One could conclude that a C-3 would be a Concert 1/4 size that may have been offered at one time.

If it is 1/4 size (measure the string length from nut to bridge; around 35" would be 1/4 size, as opposed to 42" inches for 3/4 size.) then the price would be high.

I have seen used 1/2 size Engelhardts, too (around 39 inch scale length), but none are currently offered. A half size Engelhardt is very good condition could fetch $900, but that would range on condition and the general quality of the bass. The 1/2 Engelhardt I once played didn't impress me, when compared to other laminated instruments.

Also, you can get a new Engelhardt Concert EC-1 for only a few dollars more than the cost of this bass. You can see the range of current Engelhardt models at: