Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

info on an old db

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by humdinger, Jan 4, 2003.

1. humdinger

humdinger

Jun 12, 2001
    Parkersburg Wv
    Help I need some info on an old bass that one of my friends just bought. I thought this would be a good place to start.The only info that I have is on a tag inside.It has Antonius Stradivarius Johann Nurnburg then an unreadable word then 1721 . If anyone could tell me anything about it would sure appreciate it thanks!:confused:

2. I don't know what it is, but I know what it isn't!

Check this out (it applies to basses as well as violins):

Found a Strad?

3. humdinger

humdinger

Jun 12, 2001
    Parkersburg Wv
    I might be a newbie but I didn't think it was a strad:p

4. Actually, it doesn't since Stradivarius never made any basses.

5. As near as I can tell from my library, there was no such maker as Johann Nurnberg. However, there was a line of violin family instruments that carried the name Johann Nurberg. These were one of the house brands for the old Cleveland music wholesaler Grossman Music Co. It was common practice for wholesalers to have instruments made for them (usually in Germany) that were labeled by the wholesaler with their brand name. These are called German factory fiddles (or basses) in the trade. I suspect that the name was chosen because it similar to Nurnberger, the famous family of bow and instrument makers.

6. humdinger

humdinger

Jun 12, 2001
    Parkersburg Wv
    thanks for the info. My friend just wanted to know anything about it . Ill pass the info along to him any other info would help thanks