info on Building/repair

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by inoculation, Jan 17, 2005.

1. inoculation

May 9, 2004
    I'm looking to learn how to build and or repair effects and have no idea where to start. Does anyone know of any good books or websites on the subject?

2. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    great websites, but what would be a good starting effect to build? I have no experience working with circuit boards, so it would need to have pretty simple circuit board work. Or maybe i could practice on something. Is there a way to practice soldering circuit boards?
  3. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I just built my first "effect". I built a headphone amp based on the Ruby Amp. I used an old band-aid tin as an enclosure.
    I recorded a couple of samples. I plugged the amp directly into the line in on my computer. Note, the files are on a free service so you may run out of bandwidth.

I'm thinking for my next build doing a Bazz Fuss because it looks simple. And it's hard to have a fuzz sound bad on a bass :)

I will eventually work my way up to a zombie chorus.

Check out
  4. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Yep, the Bazz Fuss is a good simple one to start with ... also check out

You can practice soldering with a bunch of 'scrap' resistors and the board you can get with pads / holes already there to build your confidence up, but keep in mind it's only active components (transistors, LEDs, opamps) that you have to worry about in terms of heat damage, so (IMHO) there's nothing wrong with going for it and building a simple circuit straight up.

5. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Awesome, my girlfriend really wants a Big Muff, but i'll suggest that we try building this together.

I have a really good local electronics shop, if i just print out the page about the Bazz Fuss do you think they could hook me up with all the needed materials? or is there some special stuff i need?
  6. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    You're good to go as far as the board parts (tranny, caps, diode, etc.) and jacks/pot, the enclosure might be the bugaboo, and what type of switch you want...

You could always try an eBay search for 3PDT for the stompswitch, I think Aron has'em over at, too.
  7. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    What's the advatange of that switch?
  8. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    For a true bypass system that doesn't require much extra circuitry. Just attach a resistor and led to the 3rd pole when the effect is turned on.

For DPDT you need to use something like the millenium bypass or rat bypass.

Aron's 3pdt seem to be the best price per quality out there.
  9. lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Bump for a corny joke :D