1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Info on Christopher basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassmastan, Jan 9, 2012.

1. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Can someone give me some incite on

2. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Them, are they good? Where are they made?

3. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Though nice looking, I've always found them to be somewhat heavy and unresponsive. Your results may vary.

4. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    One of my students had a hybrid with busetto corners. As I recall it sounded huge strung with spiros.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    It might be dangerous to invite "incite" around here. You'd do better with "insight." :)

6. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Haha, sorry. I have a habit of writing homonyms when I'm typing on my phone. I'm looking at the student model with the busetto corners. And maybe a 7/8ths size, I want to upgrade from my mistake palitino (they sent me the model up from the one I ordered). Are they chinese made or european made? I can't find info on them. Anyone play a christopher?

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    They are Chinese made. Do a search, they are well discussed here.

8. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    I have a 401T (carved, Gamba flatback), strung with EP-weich. While I love it to bits, I have very little to compare it to -- a friend's 5-series roundback Christopher, a Stentor carved, an older German carved and a bunch of no-name (but by no means terrible) Chinese basses. With the exception of my friend's bass, it is better built, has a beautiful pizz tone and projects well. I find it a little harder to hear while playing it than I do the roundback Chrissy.

We're not spoiled for choice over here -- there are no Shens or any of the European factory brands available, for example. They are Chinese made, as Eric notes, but the company is American owned (mine is labelled "Chicago") I believe, and they take responsibility for the quality control.

9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    They are imported here (US) by Concord, a Chicago company. I believe they own the brand.