Info on City College of New York

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Robin Ruscio, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    I just found out that John Patittuci is teaching at CCNY (he replaced Ron Carter). I was wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts about the overall program (i'd be doing a masters). I can't think of anyone i'd rather study with, and the tuiton is dirt cheap, which would make my relocation to NYC a lot more feasable the NYU or MSM, both of which i looked into a few years ago; but i don't anything else about the program outside of the webpage. Any thoughts appreciated!
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    My friend Scott Reeves is on the faculty. You can scope him at Scott is one of the finest players I've ever shared the stage or studio with. He's ceaselessly musical, exploratory, melodic . . . gracious, funny and droll . . . and justifiably renowned for his articulate approach to the study of improvisation. (Among other things, Scott plays on Dave Liebman's forthcoming big band record.)

Scott says that CCNY students, who come from all over the world, kick him in the backside all day long!

For what it's worth, if you wanted to pay eight times as much, you could also go to Juillard to study with Scott -- he's an adjunct faculty there.
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The advantages to being in The City ar outweigh any other consideration. There is so much of anything that you want happening here that school can easily become secondary. Outside of private lessons with a teacher that works for you, you'll likely learn more from trying to keep up with the 1000 bass players of your same age that smoke you. :)
  4. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    Thanks for the info.

Yeah, my main motivation is just to get to the city, but i'd like to get the paper at some point, too, for teaching purposes. I could do that at a couple places here (colorado) anytime i want, but i don't feel like those schools have much left to offer- i'm already gigging with all the faculty anyway. Grad School always looked like a good way to get into the scene a little easier; my connections through my undergrad have still proved the most useful in my current local. I had looked MSM and NYU but was a little turned off by the vibe and expense. I got accpeted to U. of Southern california, but i felt like if was going to move anywhere, it has to be NYC, otherwise i'm staying put.

I saw Scott Reeves bio and he sounds like an interesting player.