1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Info on EBMM Stingray w/Piezo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chaunceytoben, Feb 26, 2008.

1. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    I did a quick search, but mostly found stuff regarding piezo on fretless 'Rays.

Well I made a thread last week on me deciding on a new bass. Anyway, I had decided on a sterling, but my dad talked to friend of his who works at a nearby music shop (MidMichiganMusic). He informed me that he had no Sterling's in stock, but he had stingrays. He said he could order me a sterling, but it would take 90 days, and he wouldnt be able to deal.

So he sent me a few pics of some stingrays. All with great prices. One of them was a 4 string in Trans Blue w/white pearl pickguard (needless to say, :hyper:). It was Single humbucker with piezo for $1050 shipped wit case.

It sounds great, but I just have no experience with Piezo. Its just smaller pickups right on the bridge right? What kind of sound does that add to the bass? Is there any downside (i.e. if i dont like them, can I just shut them off and use only the hbucker?) This is a good deal right?

Thanks in advance

2. mfbolton

mfbolton Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The sound is supposed to be more along the lines of an upright, although it is still not very close.

You can turn them off on the Stingray, the piezo is controlled by a seperate knob.

That price sounds good to me.

3. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    any other pros/cons I should look out for?

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The piezo on the SR is controlled by the same tone knobs as the magnetic pup. So the 5 knobs front to back are vol, mag/piezo pan , treb, mid and bass controls.

What the piezo does is provide you with a full range signal. It will sound like you're losing bottom when you pan towards it but what you're actually getting is a balanced tone where the highs and mids are just as strong as the bass.

The piezo is a $300 upgrade these days. That bass is a good deal.

Here's my piezo equipped SR. it's blue also :smug:

[​IMG]