Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info on Fender Bassman 410 Pro Sl ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snake:>~, Mar 3, 2004.

1. snake:>~

snake:>~

Apr 11, 2000
    Has anyone purchased / used / tried out a Fender Bassman 410 Pro Sl cabinet? I live in the middle of nowhere as far as trying out rigs at well equipped music stores, and would value anyone's input on this cabinet. I am looking to replace my Peavey 1820 that I have owned for 12 years, as it is just larger and more cumbersome than I need. The sound is great, deep lows and clear highs (I use a Peavey Megabass head). The Bassman seems to have everything I want (smaller dimensions / weight, enough power handling, good name brand, and the slant feature seems nice) at a really good price. Help me out folks. Thanks in advance.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What are you going to do with the 1820?

-Mike

3. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    One negative is that it is an 8 ohm cabinet.

EDIT: It has the newer cast-frame 10" speakers, which should be more durable than those on the old Bassman 400, which had issues.

But for $350 plus shipping, you could do a lot worse, as long as you have ample power at 8 ohms.

EDIT: MF actually published specs - efficiency of 94 is pretty low for this type of cab - you will need real power at 8 ohms to make it sing. Anything less than 300w @ 8 ohms is probably not enough.

4. snake:>~

Apr 11, 2000
    It depends. If I can find a cabinet I like somewhere that will take the 1820 as a trade-in, then I may go that route; otherwise, I suppose I will just sell it outright. Musician's Friend has the Bassman for $350.00 right now, so that is the direction I am leaning. I would love to sell the 1820 ( :crying: ) to someone who could appreciate it (i.e. not thrash it into oblivion). I've had it so long that everyone I play with just refers to it as "Bertha" (as in "Big Bertha"). I love this old cabinet, but it is the size of a small refrigerator (weighs approx. 125 lbs. or so) and I just don't have room in the house for it anymore (much less the back strain from loading and unloading and getting it on and off stages, etc.).

I should have mentioned in the original posting that I am wanting to replace the 1820 with something smaller, and on a (low) budget, so I need the maximum bang for buck ratio. The Bassman 410 Pro Sl looks like a match for my needs, but at present the closest stores that may stock one for me to test drive would be a 250 mile round trip away (Lufkin to Houston, TX), and I gig almost every weekend so who knows when I would be able to go. I am hoping someone out there can shed some light, positive or negative, on the subject. I play mostly country(75%), but occasionly 100% rock/ blues shows. I do not; however, play the gig as a traditional country bass player mostly likely would. I fill in a lot of territory due to a weak rythm guitar player (volume always low, can't even be heard unless he kicks off a song :meh: ). Most all of my musical influences are not country (Billy Sheehan, Hendrix, funk, etc.), so I am covering a large range of styles (and size of venues) each gig, and the 1820 can handle these. I am powering it with a Megabass head (400 watts full range, bi-ampable to 200 watts high/low), with a vintage Morley Volume Phaser, Dunlop Q105 Bass Crybaby,and occasionally Danelectro Fench Toast distortion (need a much better pedal here). This is getting long winded, so hope you are still reading, and again, thanks in advance for taking time out to help.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yep....I read it all. :D

The music store near me has one of those cabs. I'll try and go check it out, and give you a report tonight.

Is it all about the weight for you now? The Peavey 410's do the job in situations like yours. Many others are happy with the Hartke stuff too. Can't make a suggestion on bass cabs without the obligatory "try Avatar" suggestion. :D

-Mike

6. snake:>~

Apr 11, 2000
    'ppreciate the help. It must be nice to live where there are fully stocked music stores. I have just recently seen the name Avatar mentioned on some sites, and so I just went and did a little digging since you mentioned them. Their website is firewalling here at work, but I e-mailed some folks that recently purchased their 4 X 10 cabs, so we'll see what they have to say. It looks as though no one has anything really negative to say about Avatar at all (!). The prices seem downright cheap. This isn't a case of too good to be true is it? I would suppose since my Megabass is 4 ohms , then that is the Avatar cab I would need (I just play, I never have worried much about learning the ohm ratings and such)? Let me know.

7. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    you said bang for the buck, so you're going to get a ton of guys suggesting avatar (not that it's a bad thing), so i'll be the first... AVATAR!!!

8. snake:>~

Apr 11, 2000
    Okay, no problem. Hey, the more input the better for me and anyone else reading this, right? So tell me, what Avatar cab do you have and what rig are you running it with?

9. According to the specs, they're not very efficient, 94db. However, I own a Sunn 410h which has pretty much the same specs as the fender, and it's loud enough for my needs.

I'm looking forward to the review from MJ. I've been eyeballing this cabinet for awhile, I like the angle feature.

10. Hey nickelseye, where did you find the sensitivity rating for the Fender 4x10? I couldn't find it anywhere.

11. At Musicians Friend. There's a link: "PDF Specifications" Here you go.

Fender Bassman 400 Pro SL Specs

12. The Avatars are not to good to be true,they sound very good.I'm using a pair of CB112 cabinets powered by a Crown CE 1000 poweramp(about 450 watts to each)and they go deep enough for my five string and still have good punch and definition.Also they are only 45lbs. each and are plenty loud for the blues we do.I'd check out the 2-12 cabinet they have,it's only about 75 lbs.and would do everything you want.The 12 cabinets go lower than the 410s but I've heard the 410s are very good too.

13. snake:>~

Apr 11, 2000
    I saw one of those ( Avatar 2X12 ) briefly when I was digging through their Ebay feedback, but didn't look long enough for specs. One of my considerations in needing to replace my 1820 cabinbet is size / dimensions; as well as, weight / bulk. The 4X10 is obviously much shorter and more narrow than what I have now, but the 2X12 might be too large to give me any size swap advantage. What are the measurements / dimensions and specs on the 2X12, and what is the price range?
    Hoping to hear from MJ5150 on his Bassman 410 Pro Sl test drive today to see what he can throw into the mix.
    Marklinca mentioned the Bassman 410 is an 8 ohm cabinet, and once again, I will admit I am just not that savvy about the ohm rating game (got the Megabass and 1820, which are a matched pair, at the same time years ago, so really haven't had to learn anything about it). Someone quell my ignorance here please.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I went to the music store last night, and checked out the Fender. The only head available while I was there was a Peavey Firebass. It took me a couple minutes to dial in a tone I liked, but I got one.

The cab is pretty nice. I thought it was really punchy, which is what I like. It didn't have a thunderous bottom end, but it definitely held it's own on the low B. I moved back about 30' from it, and it sounded really nice. There was only one cab in the store I went to, so I did not have a chance to try another out.

I think it is a nice cab. It doesn't kick butt, but it does a good job.

-Mike

15. snake:>~

Apr 11, 2000
    Thanks for the input. I am afraid I will probably be disappointed with any 4X10 cabinet due to the lack of the bottom I am used to from an 18 with 200 watts fueling it (not that I ever play that loud :D ). I know, I know, the solution to that is a satellite cab with something bigger, but then I'm right back into the arms race again :help: . I have not received a reply yet from any of the folks I e-mailed yesterday that purchased Avatar 4X10 cabs, but the reviews seem to state that they have big bottom end for a 4X10 cab. Where's that lottery jackpot when you need it...?

17. snake:>~

Apr 11, 2000
    I started a new thread here due to all the Avatar attention.