Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info on Fender Coronado Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dearle, Jan 5, 2003.

1. dearle

dearle

Nov 21, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hey gang, I recently came across an old Fender Coronado Bass II for sale and was wondering if I could get your opinions on it. Really anything will do: Ratings? Likes/dislikes? Information on it? I have been looking for a new bass and this one definitely caught my eye but I want to make sure that I'm not getting into something that is not worth it. If you guys need a model year, I believe it is a '67. Thanks for all your help.

Dan

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Hey, you jogged my memory there!
    I have a '68 Fender catalogue,(and a '66)-
    What a blast from the past seeing the listings & prices waay back then-Hey, wait a min!! I'm...
    old!:cool: (but happy & strong as bull... and a better, more experienced player...!)
    Ahem-
    The Coronado was Fender's attempt at a semi-acoustic bass guitar- Never lasted-
    Check out the "Wildwoods", where they injected dyes into trees! to get a striped & colored grain.
    I understand the Coronados are not highly prized by collectors-
    As far as sound goes, I don't think they are regarded as a tone machine either-
    But then again, if YOU play the axe & dig it, there 'ya go- done deal!
    That's about it- I think it could be compared to today's Jack Cassidy bass, which I believe is discontinued too. Some here have posted that they dig it-
    I prefer the standard basses so to speak, but whatever floats a boat!
    Good Luck!

3. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    There was also the Starcaster bass (and a corresponding Starcaster guitar) in the mid-70s, but it also was shortlived and unpopular -- I don't think the production run was very big.

4. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    They are short scale, low output, and, due to the semihollow construction, they are feedback prone and low in sustain. If you like the sound as is and don't expect it to be something it's not, then consider it. FWIW, I recently saw a '67 in very good shape for $695, it sold quickly.

5. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Not my favorite hollowbody bass, but those of with a fetish for such things can be a bit picky. The Coronado is quite a good bass, but very idiosyncratic. If you're used to really solid modern basses, the Coronado may feel a bit like a toy when you first play it. In my experience, it commands a lighter touch, so if you're a player who really digs in, it might not be right for you. Also, you might want to use slightly heavier strings than you're used to or the sort scale can leave you feeling pretty slack. It's a bolt on neck, if I remember correctly, and the neck feels a bit flimsy in comaprison to a Guild Starfire, Gibson EB2 or Epiphone Rivoloi.

It does have a more unique tone than the infinitely boomy basses just mentioned. Single coil pickups, combined with the boominess of a hollowbody bass (the last one I played had tapewound strings as well) make for a cool tone that you might be able to really make your signature. I don't think you'll have any problems with feedback. First of all, I don't think feedback is a problem, I'm always leaning into my amp for that at the end of tunes (so much more manly than wimpy guitar feedback) and I never, ever get feedback when I'm more than a foot away from my (all tube, extremely loud) amp.

If you'd like to hear recorded examples of the mighty Coronado, I highly recommed the entire catalog of the Church. Steve Kilby got some wonderful tones from his Coronado with those half flatwounds by D'addario. I'd especially recommend the albums surrounding their breakthrough "Starfish " album.

6. dearle

dearle

Nov 21, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Well, I've always wanted a semi-hollow bass and this one does provide that classic look with a semi-hollow body. If not the coronado, what other semi-hollows would you all suggest I take a look at?

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I highly recomend a EPIPHONE JACK CASADY BASS this bass in my book is the king of the semi hollow basses. Has a wide spectrum of tones and the pick up is really quiet. Their are a ton of diffrent finger picking positions on this one. Great price range check bass palace. www.basspalace.com they have a few sunburst right now. With a good set up you will be flying with this one. Have to go play my church gig with my Jack GOOD LUCK