1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

info on fender jp-90

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by violatedppl, Aug 28, 2005.

1. a fender jp90 is for sale on craigslist the bass and I was wondering if anyone knew about these basses and is it worth the money. thanks

2. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    That's about $100 below what they bring on eBay. If it's in good condition and plays well you couldn't do much better for $200.

bill

3. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    my first bass was JP90, it's a nice bass...it has a poplar body, really bad pickups and a nice neck.
    overall i would say it's worth the 100$ but maybe an sx will be more high quaily then it.

4. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I would grab it. I almost did, but I can't justify another bass at this time. I always wanted one back in the early 90's. The price is killer, especially for a USA Fender. Try it out first.

5. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    A pawn shop here has one that they are selling for $399 it was $299. Don't know why they did the price jump for... I when I tryed it the thing didn't fill like a fender. It was very light played decent enough I guess. I felt like the pawn shop was sell it for more then what it was worth, so I just left it there.

6. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    I owned the jp90 before. pretty light and easy to play with a punchy tone. however, the pickguard looks cheesy and cheap. i was worreid that rough use might crack the pickguard, especially if you're not careful with the toggle switch.

7. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    i picked up a very used (and abused) jp-90 off craigslist, and have been VERY happy with it. it's my #2 bass , but is very light and has a neck that's a dream to play. the sound is great, but with a light body it doesn't have the boom that i really want.

the pickguards are terrible (my only real complaint) b/c they are too thin and break easily. i replaced my pickguard with a white/black/white standard thickness one from chandler (for about $50) and have been very happy with it.

that being said, i plan to hold onto mine for quite a while. it's a great player! here's a recent picture of mine. the bridge was VERY corroded on it when i got it, so i replaced with a BAII. i think a really dense and heavy bridge is a must for this bass b/c of the light body.

[​IMG]