Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info on Gibson 20/20 bass (steinberger)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, May 24, 2004.

1. Nah, I was just foolin' around and tested this 20/20 bass at a store.

The neck appeared to be fine. The pickguard was not in good condition. The knobs were OK. Tuners worked fine. Body has a couple of dings where the wood shows. Cosmetic stuff not at 100%, but nothing big.

Weird how on this bass the rod is adjusted... you need a different wrench from the usual.

Anyway I played it. Sounded good, not super impressive but good. I like the fact it had 24 frets compared to my Js' 20... you know for the Peter Hook stuff.

And yet there is this inclination on my part... there is this weird GAS feeling... an 80s bass... unique... collector's item... not Steinberger but Ned made his mark on this one.

The bass is playable, it's shape is funky...

Is it worth $400? That's sale price.

Is it good enough for me to replace my MIM Jazz with it? Now that I have a MIA Fender Jazz, the MIM becomes expendable.

Info/feedback appreciated.

2. I don't want this thread to be buried under.

UP :eyebrow:

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Pics please. I don't know anything about this bass, but a pic might help.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    $400 is a good price. Few people know about them, but I have seen ones in EXC condition (i.e. better than the one you are looking at) going for over $1000.

I'd say it's probably built much better than your MIM Jazz, if you like the feel and sound, go for it.

5. Well I haven't decided yet if I'll make the change.

Anyway, the pickguard on the 20/20 needs to be replaced. Can any luthier produce a custom pickguard for this bass? If of course I show him...

And you guys think maybe Gibson/MusicYo would service a discontinued model like that?

Before buying I wanna make sure of these aspects.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's highly unlikely Gibson has any parts left for that bass. The stuff that is standard (the pickups, for example) could be easily sourced but for any custom parts you'd probably be out of luck.