1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

info on hiwatt please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dreadheadbass, Mar 4, 2008.

1. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    hello guys n girls
    sorry to bother you all i wasjust wondering if anyone had any experiences with hiwatt valve heads and cabs
    reason i ask is a sponsor of the hiwatt company approched our band and asked if we'd be interested in a bit of advertisement
    the deal is we put pics up on our website etc of the amps and pics of us using them onstage and in return we get the cabs and amps at trade price rather than retail and i must admit i'm quite tempted by the 400w valve head and cabs but i'm not sure if i want to part with my 550w ashdown head (solid state) and 8x10 cab

does anyone recomend these amps n cabs over what i'm using at the moment and also is it true that valvle amps deliver more volume?

2. I have only heard the vintage Hiwatt gear but it sounds excellent.

Do they make an 8x10 cab?

Either way, it can't be a bad thing to get some cheap gear, just keep your old rig in the basement just in case ;)

3. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    here's the thing to afford the hiwatt rig i'd need to sell the ashdown rig:crying:

the company got bought out apparently i'm not sure on alll the details at the moment but the amps and cabs do look very tasty even if they do weigh more than a family car

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    In this situation, I think they should arrange to let you guys tryout the HIWATT gear before expecting you to decide. (preferably at a gig) I'd do some serious price comparisons, to make sure your really getting a discount...

Here's a sight you should check out:
    http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewforum.php?f=3
    Its mostly vintage gweetar amp related, but there's some current HIWATT bass gear posts too.

You already find all these?
    http://www.google.com/custom?domain...;S:http://www.talkbass.com;LP:1;FORID:1&hl=en

I cant help you much on they're new stuff, but Here's my early 80's 1x15 HIWATT. Mine came to me with a replacement EV driver but It sounds great and the cab is built very-very well.

DSCN1584.

DSCN1586.

5. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

sell out.

if they give you the amps i'd do it. if you still have to buy the amps i'd pass.

6. Hi I visited the place where they are made the 200 watt is incredibly heavy with four milk bottles for valves (KT88s) and substations for transformers, if you can stand the weight and have a good back or roady go for it.