Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info on Japanese Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dudemeister, Aug 2, 2002.

1. I found a japanese Spector in a local music store. This is the second time ever I've seen a none korean made spector in a store!
    What are the differances between them and the others.
    It definately sounded and played better than my korean Spector and had the active EMG's.
    Are they as good as the czech or even american made?
    What are they worth and when were they discontinued?

Thanks!

2. Anyone?

3. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    hey, i've got a 1987 ns2a japanese neck thru w/ spector pups/active preamp, and it's been my main bass for over ten years now.

i love it, the neck profile is thin enough, and the string spacing just right, for those of us w/ small hands. its got a great "bang" to it when slapped about. great even tone, highs not to harsh, nice defined lows, mids bright and cutting without dominating. they're simply wonderful.

they're great basses, i would really like to know their $$ value, what's that one in the store selling for, if you don't mind my asking?

4. The Kramer Era ('86-'90) NS-2A Spector is Korean made. I'm not aware of any Japanese made Spectors. In fact, if you go to www.spectorbass.com, then go to "history". There is no mention of any Spector basses made in Japan. Just USA (Brooklyn,NY- Neptune,NJ and Saugerties,NY), The Czech Republic and Korea.

Dudemeister, can you find out what model that Spector bass that was allegedly made in Japan is?

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    actually, that's the data i got from spector, had them date it recently. guy believed it was made in japan at the time, although they were doing korean models as well. its ns1556, if you know more.

as a matter of fact, there was a similar model labeled as japanese for sale over at the bass palace not long ago, might still be there.

6. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
  7. If you go to www.spectorbass.com then go to "about us" then scroll down to "serial numbers" then scroll down and look at the paragraph by the SB-1 fretless picture and you will see that your serial number matches that of the korean made Kramer era NS-2A bass (neck through with "designed by EMG" "Spector" pickups.

I'm not sure why someone from Spector would tell you that your bass is Japanese made when the info is stated on their website says otherwise.

Anyway, it doesn't matter where it was made as long as you enjoy the bass. That's what matters most. I just thought that I'd clarify the info to you.

There are some really knowlegable people at the Spector bass fan club site which is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spectorbassclub/
    and if there are indeed any Japanese made basses then I'm sure some members would let us know of any! In fact, a couple of members are close friends with Stu Spector!!!

8. The NS-2B is the same as the NS-2A with the exception of that the NS-2B has a flat back and the NS-2A has the carved back that Spector is known for. It is obvious that the original black die-cast hardware has been replaced with gold plated brass hardware.

BTW, the NS-2B was also Korean made and as you can imagine, cost less than the NS-2A. Lastly, they are rarer than than the NS-2A because fewer were made due to more demand for the carved back NS-2A.