Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info on My washburn (anyone?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by relman, Apr 4, 2002.

1. I have a Washburn bass, model XB-200, and i need to know what kind of wood the body is made out of...it used to be on the washburn site, but it's out of production...it may be mahogany or alder, maybe even basswood. The bass is very resonant and has a very smooth tone...

anyone got any ideas? I need this so i can start planning my custom DP :D

2. Washburn XB200

Washburn 500 Series Bass Pickups in both the P & J designs offer wide tonal palettes. The XB200 also features increased surface neck-to-body attachment. Two volume and two tone controls offer flexibility in shaping tone.

- Hardwood body
    - Maple neck
    - WB510 preamp
    - Rosewood fingerboard
    - Deluxe Chrome bridge
    - 20 frets

[​IMG]

at your service :D

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    "Hardwood body", eh? That's very helpful...

4. what the?

Hardwood body?

that's like saying "metal strings"!

how good is customer support there?

5. I'm guessing it's Alder...idk I have one, and I've wondered the same thing too...

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that the pickups are made from genuine magnets and wire.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Based on the price point, I would say it is more likely to be basswood than alder and likely not mahagony. The reason that they say "hardwood" is they are probably using what the buyers are getting the best price on at the time. Basswood, alder, poplar, ash, whatever gives them the performance they are looking for.

You could unbolt the neck and probably tell. If the grain is light and tight, it may be alder. If it is a little more open and random, it could be basswood.

Chas

8. hey!

don't dis until you hear my bass recorded...i'm serious...i get huge tone...

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wasn't dissing your axe, I was dissing the generic info that the manufacturer gives for it.

10. hey, sorry man, forgot to add a smiley before!
    :D

worst electronics ever...the tone knob shorts every now and then...but it's all worth it :D

11. Just wait until I "pimp" my XB-200!!!

1)Sperzel Satin Chrome Tuners (already have those)
    2)Aguilar OBP-1 Onboard Preamp
    3)Crushed Blue&Silver Shell Pickguard <don't know what shape...From Warmoth>
    4)Satin Chrome Bridge...don't know what kind to get...I'd like a nice heavy one...possibly a Gotoh or or something like that...
    5)Sand down and finish the headstock in black and seal it.
    6)Dunlop Original Straplocks, instead of the Schaller ones...(already have, but will probably go on my Fender when I get one back)
    7)Battery Box...<have to route...>
    8)String Trees of sorts to add to string tension.
    9)New Pots
    10)Possibly some Red with Black Dots Dice Knobs.

Any suggestions? Commendations?

12. Well, i really don't see the point in a pickguard for it...and the bridge it has is pretty damn good/solid, so i'm not sure if you'd wanna change that...