1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Info on Ottomar Hausman basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by PJFbass, Apr 21, 2010.

1. PJFbass

PJFbass

Jan 10, 2009
    Im looking into purchasing an Ottomar Hausman bass that was built in 1958. The label says Mittenwald Germany. Can anybody give me some more info on this maker?

2. PJFbass

PJFbass

Jan 10, 2009
    any help would be appreciated :)

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    You might want to contact Upton Bass - when I Google the name the first result is for a '58 Hausmann under repair...

4. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    We took one in on trade and fixed it up for sale a few years ago. Pics here.

It didn't seem "factory"...but my gut tells me there was a certain amount of "workshop"-ness to it...similar I guess to what we do with our entry level basses. I researched a ton on it and best I could find was a former student of his who said he was indeed a real person and given the date of our label he was working for his father at the time. This student never followed up with my eMails though...so the trail went dead after the first contact. I would love to know more about the maker/workshop too.

The varnish when new was prob very red...most likely Dragons Blood pigment because it completely faded away everywhere but under the bridge feet and plate tuners.

bskts247 likes this.
  5. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    wow...taking a quick trip down memory lane looking at pictures that i haven't looked at in a very long time...the photo is tagged as uploaded (Friday, May 19, 2006 12:33:56 PM). You can see the first paper template of the LaFaro/Prescott ff hole we use on our basses hanging on the wall!

bskts247 likes this.
  6. PJFbass

PJFbass

Jan 10, 2009
    wow! thanks for the information. The violin shop that is selling it is asking for $6500. Does that seem like a fair price? It was built in 1958 and is a round back. I played it for about an hour. It played well, but i would try it out for a week.

7. Chuck_G

Chuck_G Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Boston Area
    I have a 1956 Hausmann, and it's been my main instrument for almost 20 years. I first bought it from a teacher at Berklee, and was told that it was a factory instrument. My luthier, Mark Carlsen, seems to think it Czech, maybe a Juzek with a different label. I had mine appraised by Barrie Kolstein about.... 7-8 years ago, and IIRC - I don't have the paper in front of me - he appraised it at $7500 at that time.

It's been a great bass for me. It's always sounded good, and has gotten better and better with age. It's got a good, focused bottom end and it really projects - great sound for jazz. Bows well also. Also, it's handled the New England season changes reasonably well.

When I got mine, it had a metal tailpiece. I think it's called a Dutch tailpiece(?) Does the one you're looking at have that?

8. mesmithnm

mesmithnm

Dec 10, 2005
    Layton, UT
    I have a bass labled Ottomar Hausman and the consensus by those that have seen it is that it is a better quality German shop bass. Mine is 1956 (I think, don't have it in front of me - S/N A490) and is a good instrument. It's not all that loud, but the response is very even and the tone is kind of dark even with Spiro Mittels. As such, it amplifies very well and makes a very good bass for jazz pizz playing. The arco tone is sweet as well, but once again, it's not all that loud. All in all, it's a good bass. Mine was set up and appraised by Robertson's in Albuquerque about 10 years ago ($7500) and has been very stable except for a slight mismatch in the top/lower bout on the bass side. This seam could fit better so it tends to open up every five years or so and requires regluing. I would think a bass like this might fetch $5-6k in today's market.

Mark

9. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Any more information on these basses? I bought one in 2012 from Upotn (1957). Its a nice bass. Not very loud and has had to go through a lot of changes to get it to feel and sound right (its a tight playing bass so looser strings are nice, plus I had a new bridge put on). I like the sound of it and feels great. Mostly play jazz but some classical in the practice room. Monster low's no matter what string is on it (or how high they are for that matter). I'd like to see if there's any more information on these basses. I'd like to at some point try a few others of them, but doesn't seem like a lot were made?