1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Info on Planet Violin EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by contraruss, Mar 22, 2009.

1. contraruss

contraruss

Mar 16, 2009
    Just purchase a used Planet Violin EUB five string Any information on this instrument good or bad would be appreciated. Have a very noticeable buzz on all strings in the first position - is there a fix.

2. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    sounds like you need to pull out the files and sandpaper. youll need to look down the whole length of the board from the end to see how smooth or uneven the board is.

3. Eddue

Eddue

Jan 12, 2006
    New Haven, Mich
    I have one of the planet basses. Had it for a while and the action was ok when I first played it. However after playing it recently I also noticed buzzing, not sure if it is the humidity changes or wood not being aged properly. I am going to replace the original bridge with an adjustable one and see is raising the action will help the problem. I also need to replace the strings but since it is a full size 5 string I will have to wait til I sell one of my other basses to finance the strings.

4. contraruss

contraruss

Mar 16, 2009
    I took my planet bass to my local luthier. He performed a dressing of the finger board and it now plays beautifully especially when using the bow. I do not have a bass amp as yet but have it hooked up to my Bose music system and it sounds great for my practice sessions.

5. Eddue

Eddue

Jan 12, 2006
    New Haven, Mich
    when you had then fingerboard redressed, did you or your luthier notice anything about the wood as far as type of wood that it might be. Ebonized rosewood or something else? What string are you using ? I am assuming you have the 3/4 size.

6. contraruss

contraruss

Mar 16, 2009
    The luthier did not inform me of the wood type of the fingerboard, but it appears to be ebonized rosewood. The strings are fairly new but can't identify. Sorry. I am really enjoying getting back to playing, especially when I only payed $152 for the bass on EBay. I fits my needs perfectly right now.

7. Eddue

Eddue

Jan 12, 2006
    New Haven, Mich
    Just got around to taking a good look at my bass. Somehow the sound post moved and is no longer under the bridge and top is lower at the bridge. It should be ok once I reposition the bridge. It sounds ok, more electric than acoustic but has the potential to be a decent bass with a few modifications. It definitely could use better strings and a sturdier sound post.