info on reverend basses / guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j-bass-kreep, Mar 9, 2004.

1. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    I've got a PJ in Moroccan Gold. I really like it. Great 'super vintage' neck, which basically just means rolled fingerboard edges and a satin honey finish.

Very thumpy, thick, fat tone (with TI flats). It's a great rootsy kind of rock sound. Strung with rounds, it can be pretty 'grindy' or 'growly', but the semi-hollow construction always adds some 'air' to the tone.

Unfortunately, I find myself grabbing one of my MTD's instead so it will probably end up on ebay soon. :meh:

So, to sum up: two enthusiastic thumbs up - just not for me...

PS: Sorry about all the 'quotes' ;)
  2. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    No experience with the PJ setup, but I do have a 5L (dual J pickups) and a Brad Houser model (dual stacked Js).

How do they sound? Better than any other bass in that price range. String 'em with flats and you got yourself an extremely fat blues/R&B/rock machine. String 'em with rounds, hell if I know.

Rounds on a Fish would be BAD. Bad, bad, bad.

See The Fish
  3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Mine is an early (#808), J/J, vol/vol/tone 'fish. Awesome tone! Like a jazz bass but more "air", as b15fliptop put it. Cuts thru very well at a gig. I like it best with both pickups full on and roll the tone up or down. People always comment about the tone and the look... :) They are not for everyone but you will find some disciples lurking about! :hyper:
  4. thanks for all the info so far.. if I would string it with round wounds and solo the neck pickup would it sound like a P bass or is it a different sound ? - would it be adecuate for punk or heavy metal ?
  5. The Rumblefish is a great rock bass. I've had mine for 5 1/2 years, strung with rounds the whole time except for a very brief experiment with flats, which didn't work for me on that bass. The 'Fish growls, it snarls, it looks cool, and it's got the best neck in the business, period. Go for it!
  6. I've had my JJ, the XL model with the series/parallel/single coil switch, for about 2 years. In the series mode (where I keep it 90% of the time), it is incredibly fat. These are big, fat, ballsy sounding basses. I ping-pong between Fender flats and GHS Btite Flats (ground wounds) and it sounds great either way. Like Dave said, the neck is as good as it gets. I think, talking about BRAND NEW, American-made instruments, that they are the best deal in the marketplace BAR NONE. The hardware is good, the fit and finish is perfect, the fretwork is immaculate. If you find a used one (like I did), the bang-for-the-buck ratio goes through the roof.
  7. ok . i think ill give it a shot and use my savings . thanks for all the info